Logo

2014 T9.9 LPB: new water pump installed, now won’t go into reverse gear

Smute

Can anyone tell me which way the Adjustment Nut in the gear shift rod linkage should be moved (up or is it down the threaded rod to which it is attached?) to get it into reverse gear.
Thanks for any input.

There is a jam nut and a coupling nut. No adjustment nut.

The coupling nut has nothing to do with the shift mechanism. It merely attaches the upper rod to the lower rod.

The shift rod goes down as I recall to shift into reverse gear.

Procedure when removing the lower unit is to shift into reverse. For better access to the jam and coupling nut. Just barely loosen the jam nut. Unscrew the coupling nut to separate the upper and lower rods.

Then remove the lower unit. Do not mess with the shift rod.

Reinstall the lower unit. Screw the coupling nut to the point where it just touches the jam nut. Hold the coupling nut and tighten the jam nut. Done.

Thank you Boscoe for your prompt and to-the-point reply.

I would also note that to separate the lower unit from the exhaust housing, the jam nut must be removed. Thereafter, when reinstalling the lower unit, I tried to screw the jam nut on to the same place it had been.

That didn't work; nor did moving the nuts around to either side of where they had been.

So, here is what I did which results in it able to shift into reverse (and F and N):

I disconnected the shift cable from the shift lever, and screwed out the connecting attachment at the cotter pin. This lengthened the "throw" of the shift cable into reverse. And seems to have solved the problem, pending further test drive tomorrow.

Did not expect this to be the path to success. Unless you call it a bad solution?

From my memory I was recalling the jam nut being lowered ever so slightly so that the coupling nut could be screwed upwards enough for the two rods to separate.

But I now see where on this model there is an O ring that helps to hold the lower rod. So the jam nut gets removed completely.

In any event, when the lower unit is mounted to the mid-section the jam nut can then be lowered to about where it was. Then lower the coupling nut to connect the two rods. Eyeballing it for the center position so that it holds both rods equally. Then put the jam nut in place.

Then shift the gear case back into neutral.

Thank you again Boscoe for your very elaborate reply.

Let me also add to where I had said “That didn't work; nor did moving the nuts around to either side of where they had been.” Moving the nuts UP did nothing to get into reverse but did engage forward that much sooner in the movement at the helm lever; so I concluded that UP was the wrong direction. So then I moved the nuts DOWN as far as possible without bottoming them out; thereby restoring the expected movement into forward, but still no success getting into reverse. That is when I resorted to lengthening the connection of the shifting cable to the shift lever (outside the cowling) as described in my initial thread. I think the situation is created by an aging shifting cable. I think.

My last thoughts on this matter.

On a 7 year old motor I doubt that the shift cable connection or aging thereof to be the problem. If the motor was shifting normally before removal of the lower unit (no comment was made as to this matter) and it suddenly started shifting poorly after the lower unit removal, it would tend to indicate a problem caused by the removal and reinstallation procedure. Which from what I have read seems to be the situation.

The nuts have nothing whatsoever to do with the proper engagement of the shift mechanism within the lower unit. All they do is to connect two rods together.

The lower unit is placed into reverse gear as shown in the diagram above. The motor shift mechanism is placed into reverse gear.

When the lower unit is reinstalled the lower shift rod will be where it will be. The upper shift rod will be where it will be. The jam nut is installed on the threaded section of the lower rod. The coupling nut is used to join the two rods together. With the two rods remaining in the position they were in upon installation of the lower unit. The coupling nut is centered between both rods. The jam nut is tightened against the coupling nut to prevent it from loosening.

When the shift mechanism is returned to neutral the lower unit will follow it. When the shift mechanism if placed in forward gear the lower unit will follow it. When the shift mechanism is placed in reverse gear the lower unit will follow it.

Your motor. Do as you will.

c5901c70-a195-4371-8165-cfefe900fb5f
19c59335-69a1-4c62-b5fe-c4d35b6f2fb5

Here is what I called the “aging” shifting cable. A kink had developed, that then caused the cable sheathing to separate from the inner cable near the bracket holding it to the engine. So I installed shrink wrap to hold the sheathing to cable, and then added the splint to keep it from kinking again. All of this was the source of why the shift rod linkage between the lower unit and exhaust housing needed to be changed.
Also shown is where I increased the “throw” of the shift cable into reverse by screwing OUT the connection at the cotter pin between the shift cable and shift lever.
And it all works now: F, N, and Reverse! as demonstrated in this morning test drive.

The location of the Linkage nuts DOES make a difference. Not just in my experience, but as indicated by Leroy of Leroy’s Ramblings on reinstalling the lower unit on this motor.
In my experience, moving the linkage nuts Up caused the forward gear to engage earlier in moving the shift lever at the helm forward. Moving the nuts Down reversed this.

Back