Logo

Velvet Drive fluid change

pwskicat

Regular Contributor
Model 71C direct-drive 1:1. Fluid–Capacity: Dexron lll/Mercon–2 qt. Engine: 1995 Mercruiser 350 Magnum Tournament Ski EFI (TBI)
Checked out a few youtube vids, which showed draining the trans via the fill port with a suction pump, but not draining the oil cooler and its hoses. The only vid that recommended draining the the trans cooler/hoses was for the V-Drive. The Mercruiser Service Manual #17 recommends draining the hoses for my model. Any input from the forum? Many thanks for your help. PW

I usually pull the return hose and let it all drain out....

it will let you see what flows from the sump as well as what flows from the cooler...

Thanks, mako! Do you disconnect the return hose at the cooler or at the trans? The only video I saw where the cooler was drained, the mechanic disconnected it at the cooler.

On our set-up, the return hose connects to an elbow which threads into the case...I pull the hose at the elbow and let the hose drain...and then when the elbow stops flowing, I back it out a half turn (so its inlet is pointed down...and once that is done, i pull the elbow to let the residual flow from the case...

then clean up the elbow, put PST on the threads, and reinstall in the case. then connect the hose, and fill it...

Back