Logo

Bravo leak question

805HD

Regular Contributor
Have a friend with a 1999 Shockwave, 454 with a bravo drive who is having a issue with water leaking into the boat from the transom. Personally I suspect his bellows but he swears the leak is coming in from what I am assuming are two hoses for hydraulic fluid (one low press and one high press) towards the bottom of the transom assembly.

Has anyone ever seen this before? If its NOT the bellows leaking, and water IS getting by those hoses, where would the leak be? Is there some sort of seal/ gasket?

Going to go help him out this weekend, just figured I would try and get a little insight before hand.

thanks!

The trim lines come out at bottom of outer transom.
Yes it can leak from there. I belive there is a gasket there.

Other thing to look at is, are the lower transom bolts loose or loose enough that they can be tightened. If so then maybe tightening will fix issue or transom is bad and water logged and tightening bolts only sqeezes the transom.

I wouldn't rule out anything until you have eyeballs on it. Lots of places the leak can come from. However, I wouldn't go searching for anything specific, I would just do a complete going-over of the drive to include all new rubber everything. I mean as long as you're in there might as well, right?
And if, as Jack mentions, the transom turns out to be the issue, then you have bigger fish to fry.

main bellows usually shows itself with water leaking in just above the inputshaft(usually)
shift cable bellow
exaust Y pipe
water inlet fitting gasket/ quick release fitting
very rarely the hyd block gasket
transom leak from a hard bottom strike
missing speedo hose

Back