Logo

Test Starting Mercruiser 120 without the Sterndrive Attached

tdf

Simply put, I would like to test start my 2.5 liter engine with and alternative cooling water source.

Will the engine water pump pull water from a hose in a tub? I'm concerned the pump has to be primed to make this happen?

Any other suggestions?

Simply put, I would like to test start my 2.5 liter engine with and alternative cooling water source.

Will the engine water pump pull water from a hose in a tub? I'm concerned the pump has to be primed to make this happen?

Any other suggestions?

take a washing machine hose cut in half and jamb it in the water passage in the bell housing to connect to a hose without the drive on .

Merc Alpha and earlier drives have the raw water supply pump in the drive. The circulating pump in the block won't "pull" water. The "hose" Dieter mentioned should be a garden hose i.e. a pressurized source of water.

If you just wanna see if it runs you can operate it "dry" for a short period, like 10 or 20 seconds. The oil will cool it sufficiently for that long.

I did this once with my Cobra I just hooked up a hose to the raw water fitting on the thermostat housing, I had a spare water intake hose on hand and just rigged the garden hose up to that.I’d stuff a rag in the bellows though because you don’t want exhaust water to splash up into the driveshaft bellows.
The circulating pump will not draw in water it has to be pressurized.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations. I was pretty much going to go the garden hose route but I wasn't positive it would be ok.

Back