Logo

25 Foot Single Engine Cabin Boat. Volvo Diesel or Outboard?

buddy13

Hello all! I am a 36 year old Mechanical Engineer from Malta (small island 60 miles South of Sicily/Italy). Me and my long time girlfriend, has recently got married and are now looking at buying a larger boat together :).

We just sold our first boat, which we are very pleased to have owned for the last 4 years.

It was a 20 foot cuddy cabin (Sundeck) with a 4 stroke Yamaha F115 outboard both from 2010. It was an excellent all rounder and we could always do a spot of fishing, diving, day boating and even overnighting (at a stretch!) for a couple of nights. We racked up 200+ hours on it and it never gave us any issues apart from standard maintenance.

We would now really like to extend our days on the sea and also be able to hopefully visit Sicily and Italy on the boat each summer, spending 3-5 nights sleeping on the boat. I am not sure I am willing to go for inboard power, after reading all the horror stories of constant electrical & mechanical problems, repairs etc. I like the idea of staying with an outboard, but the choice would be severely limited. We are looking at used boats as our budget does not stretch beyond that.

I am decent with a spanner so tend to do the majority of the work on the boat myself, such as painting, servicing motors and other small jobs.

We have decided that our next boat should have an Overall length of 'around' 25 feet.

It will also have to be a single engine as I am not ready to go through all the work and expense of servicing & fixing 2 engines just yet.

Would you prefer a Diesel inboard/sterndrive over Outboard power for such a boat? I found a locally made 25 footer with a 230hp KAD 43 Engine that seems to be in good shape.

Finally, can you suggest any online sources/sites where we can browse through Boats for Sale in EU? Thanks in advance!

Back