Logo

Low compression 1989 115 Evinrude. Something doesn’t make sense.

toqwik

Trying to help a young man with his engine. I am sure there are many here smarter than me and I don’t think his motor is junk as he has been told. 89 Evinrude V4. From pictures the motor appears to have a lot of new parts. All the wiring looks newer. Starts and runs on a hose. Put it in the water and no power. Told him step one do a compression check. Did it and said he got 35 lbs in all cylinders. I said something must be wrong with his gauge so he took it to a shop. Same reading and the mechanic told him it was junk. I can see having a bad cylinder but all 4 at 35 I have never heard of. Don’t know if these motors can jump time or whatever but it sounds like something isn’t allowing it to build compression. Any suggestions?

Working on a 93 model 90 HP now.------Motor had 2 new standard pistons installed by someone.-----This time there are broken rings on 3 of the 4 cylinders.-----Have I said that all of these crossflows will suffer this fate !!----Getting 4 new Wiseco 0.020" O/S this time.

Back