Logo

Mid 90 s 15 hp was dieing at half throttle now a quarter throttle...carburetor ?

Barnaclebill1

Hello all I have a 15 hp that is dieing at half throttle and a quarter throttle on the way back last time I used it. Is this probably fuel lines ? If so what size should I have? Presently I have 1/4" line from the tank to bulb then from bulb to the fuel pump no inline fittings. They are about 2 years old . I took a cold reading of 98 in compression test for both cylinders . Also last year I changed one ignition coil . Just cleaned bowl as well

The 1/4" line is sufficient to run your motor.
I ran twin 85's off of the same 1/4" hose.
I'd look at a blockage in the vent? or a bad hose connection/connector?

Hello Jerryjerrry thank you for the reply . Vent is clear . I will replace the lines today. When I disconnect the line where it goes into the carb and either pump the bulb or pull over the motor a fair amount of fuel comes out . Also I am able to blow air through readly once its attached to the carb it's much harder to blow air through the system. Also it seems to get too hot in my opinion with this happening I can only hold my hand the head for a count of about 1 and a half before it's too much and I have pretty tough hands lots of water coming from tell tale.

Update !! Replaced lines from tank to pump with clear ethanol proof lines . Started it up and pulled each plug wire individually it never stopped running . Ran stronger on top cylinder but both could are working apparently. Sprayed carb cleaner onto the gaskets where carb meets block died right down! Just after that I pulled the power head removed the carb and reeds in Hope's to clean them gaskets all look good

The spraying of the carb cleaner and it causes it to die, sucking air somewhere????
Spray all around the intake side, port covers and fuel pump bases, EVERYWHERE!!

They can look new but can still suck air.
ONE!!! tiny backfire, cough, stutter can blow a gasket and you won't see anything!!!
88/85hp. For some reason it backfired.
Then didn't run right??
Did all the tests," ignition, timing,stator, etc.
Then did the starting fluid spray test and found the middle port cover gasket, fuel pump had an air leak.
Installed a new gasket and didn't use sealer(factory spec) and i ran good for 30 seconds.
Then the gasket blew again. Used sealer after that.

Back