Logo

2015 30Hp EFI Fuel/ Electrical Problem Need Help Please!!!

Tommis

I have a 2015 mercury 30 hp EFI outboard. The engine starts up good when cold, and will run as long as you don't shut it off. When the engine is hot and you try to restart it it will not start, it is not getting fuel as have a fuel pressure gauge on it. When I remove the plug going to the high-pressure fuel pump I have 13 volts when cranking but found that when I plug it in and hook on the wires with my meter as soon as I plug it in the voltage goes to zero as if the computer does not like the ohms resistance of the fuel pump. The resistance does change when the fuel pump warms up, 1.4omhs Cold to .04 hot. I don't know if I have any fault codes, I don't have any way of checking that. So my questions are these,

serial Number 0R668587

What are the parameters that would throw a fault code for the fuel pump and would the fault code prevented engine from running?

If the computer does not like the Ohms measurement it sees on the fuel pump motor will it remove the voltage to it and not allowed to start?

Is there an ohm resistance check I can do to the fuel pump to know that is within spec?

Thank You Tommis

How is the fuel filter? Do you use 10 percent ethanol fuel? Did the problem start after a storage period? If the pumps are working too hard to supply fuel, it may cause similar symptoms.

How is the fuel filter? Do you use 10 percent ethanol fuel? Did the problem start after a storage period? If the pumps are working too hard to supply fuel, it may cause similar symptoms.
I had the vapor separator tank apart and it was spotless checked the primary filter but did not change the high-pressure filter. If the high-pressure filter was plugged I am not sure if temperature would change the filter from flowing fuel to not flowing fuel just my thought. At this point when the engine gets hot there is no voltage going to the fuel pump, also if there was a restriction in the fuel pump I feel that the pressure regulating valve would just dump the fuel and not necessarily make the fuel pump work any harder. While the engine is running the fuel pressure is good 45 to 46 psi.Thank you Tommis

Last edited:
New member here just wondering if you resolved this issue? I have a similar issue but it doesn't appear to be heat related. My 30hp EFI Mercury (2019) will start intermittently then just go dead (no clicks, no nothing). Have been through kill switch, neutral safety switch, starter solenoid and waiting on new starter motor as the existing one turns but was previously seized to due to salt water damage.
I read somewhere else that someone had similar problems which they found was related to an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump which drew more amps than the original pump and confused the ECM. I too have an el cheapo fuel pump from China so wondering if this might be the problem but interested to hear how you went or if anyone has similar experience?

Didn't get any feedback but thought an update might be useful for others. My problem was nothing to do with high pressure fuel pump but was actually the neutral safety switch not fully engaged. Even though the motor was in neutral the lug from the gear lever that pushes up the neutral safety switch was not fully facing up and therefore did not push on the switch sufficiently to allow the starting circuit to work. Pleased to say my el cheapo aftermarket high pressure fuel pump seems to be doing the job so far.

Back