Logo

2006 BF150 Honda Outboard starts but won't stay running when key goes back to run position

Robert Spurgeon

Problem is intermittent. If I hold key in start position motor stays running. Once key springs back to start position, motor sometimes kills. When key is turned on, I do hear two beeps and gauges work. I read this could be the main fuel relay. How can I check to be sure?

Thanks for the feed back
Robert

When you say you hold key in start position motor stays running, do you mean hold in crank or let it go back to start by hand and continue holding? Because if this is the case it sounds like the actual key switch...

When you say you hold key in start position motor stays running, do you mean hold in crank or let it go back to start by hand and continue holding? Because if this is the case it sounds like the actual key switch...

Thanks for the response.
Motor continues to run when I hold the key in crank position.
I let the key go and it spring back to run position, motor kills

Ok, I don´t have the 150 wiring but have researched my 200. It could be the main relay, sub-relay 2 takes care of the HP fuel pump and there is a second provision to feed coil 2 from sub-relay 1 (starter), through a diode. If you turn the key to run (no crank) do you hear the HP pump running for 2-3 seconds with the engine cover off? If you don´t hear the pump and you are comfortable with electricals, you could try and feed the pump directly with +12VDC at the red/blue wire output of the main relay or at the yellow/blue wire of the pump itself, if you disconnect it, with a ground at the pump black wire.

On a side note, also make sure your emergency stop switch is ok.

I have attached the diagram.

Attachments

• Honda BF200 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    85.3 KB · Views: 12
Looking at the circuit again, there is another step you can do if you have a multimeter: disconnect the main relay connectors and measure the resistance from the red wire on the relay side and the green/red wire on the relay side (different connectors going to the same relay). Do not measure the wires on the engine side. The resistance should be the sum of the resistor + the right hand diode + the middle coil. If it is an open circuit, reverse the multimeter cables and measure again (if you put the red multimeter cable to the red relay cable you can skip reversing). Try low ohm scale first and go up to maybe 2000kohm. If the circuit is open it is definitely the relay.

Back