Logo

Volvo Penta 7.4 GL ignition

shadowjakal73

I Recently bought a 1997 Albemarle center console with the 7.4 gl in it. Ran it for about 30 minutes, slowed down to just above idle for several minutes approaching a channel then it died. Started it back up, ran it for several min and it died again, Got it started again after several min, let it idle and it died again. My first thought was fuel, but then I noticed that every time it died the tachometer quit working about three to five seconds prior. This led me dow ignition path. Felt the Coil and it felt pretty hot, I had my wife turn it over as I checked for spark at the distributor cap by removing a plug wire and it was non existent. Limped it back towards the marina till it finally wouldn’t start at all and got towed in. Brought the boat home after it cooled down and just tried cranking it to see and it started right up. I took all the leads off the coil (2 sets) ohm’d across the coil +/- and it was .6 ohms, which seems low, I thought theses were supposed to 1.5 ohms but I read somewhere 3 ohms and not really sure now what I need. The ignition module also smells like smoked electronics. Could this be just a bad Coil or do you think I have another issue? Any help is super appreciated!

Awesome, thanks for the fast response! I ordered the OEM 3852217 coil, should be here Friday. The coil that was in it didn’t appear to be OEM and not sure of the the default ohms for that particular coil. I also ordered a pertronics ignition module P1589 as i can’t find a OEM 3854077 module. I’ll give it a try Friday and let ya know how it goes, thanks again!

I ordered it all, the coil cap, rotor, and the ignition module so at least I’d have it. Do you think the module is still good, and is there a reason why I shouldn’t use the pertronics? Thanks again! Much appreciated for the knowledge!

Ok yeah that makes sense, honestly it was the only replacement part I could find reasonably and quick. The OEM part was discontinued I thought and the ones I’ve seen for sale are only on eBay etc used for an arm and a leg. If it’s still good I’ll definitely keep it installed, if not, is there anything you would recommend other than the pertronics? Thanks in advance

Put the new OEM coil in and ran it for 20 min, no issues so far. I did ohm check acros the terminals and got 1.5 with the new one card .6 with the old one. Can this motor run on A 3ohm coil? Just curious. So should I keep the pertronics module or send it back? I know you said you weren’t a fan, just curious what you’d recommend I use if the OEM module eventually craps out since they don’t make it anymore.

Back