Logo

New mercruiser long block engine needed

bubba123

My 5.7 liter 350 mag mpi mercruiser engine (serial number OM689902) overheated and it went into the shop in March of this year. Repair person stated the engine needed replacing.
He is trying to order a new mercruiser long block engine but says new engines are on back order and he is not sure when one will be available.

Repair person says he only wants to install a new mercruiser long block engine vs remanufactured since his history with reman have not been good.

Does anyone have any information when this engine will be available from the manufacturer ? Thanks.

I dont have an answer to availability of new merc blocks BUT,
The last remanufactured engine I installed lasted 20 years....of hard use, over 1000hrs.....

Thanks for your reply.. boat repair person did not explain how he determined engine needed to be replaced..just that it go hot enough to melt several components on the outside of the engine and all exhaust bellows.. I will ask him to reconsider finding a remanufactured engine since factory are not available....

Did u Try a place like Michigan motorz they sell new gm marine base engines . These are the exact same engines that MerCruiser marine power Volvo Penta etc. marinize. I understand that some rebuilds can be hit or miss but I would think an absence of an engine that would be an acceptable alternative

Lockdown + pandemic = supply problems across the board. Stuff to fix your toys has been backordered for months. When it does come in it's already spoken for. I wish you luck with the repair but honestly you should not plan on getting back in the water until maybe next year. Or the year after.

Thanks for your replies..latest from Mercruiser is long blocks available late August .. $6,500 for engine plus repair....estimating $10,000 to get back on the lake..

You may be better off looking for a good used complete engine.
My friend just picked up a 5.7 1987 with ~ 400 hrs.
Complete with all accessories. Including flywhrel and bell housing for $1500.00.

This will be a plug and play repair.

If you do some research you may br able to do the same.

Plenty of people who re power and sell perfectly good complete engines for a good price.

Nov 9, 2011. Long Block finally received ($6,500) and installed. Long block part number 8M0163301 and ID RC92023923. Is there a way to identify whether this is remanufactured or new ? Marine shop says new with 3 year warranty. Mercury says no warranty registration with long block...just hang on to sales slip and PDI.

Nov 9, 2011. Long Block finally received ($6,500) and installed. Long block part number 8M0163301 and ID RC92023923. Is there a way to identify whether this is remanufactured or new ? Marine shop says new with 3 year warranty. Mercury says no warranty registration with long block...just hang on to sales slip and PDI.

try googling mercruiser part number 8M0163301...

one of the listings that comes up is https://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercury-mercruiser-8m0163301-lb-5-7l96-0 which is for a new longblock

[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
Back