Logo

1983 Johnson 60 stalling

thephoneman

New to me motor. Starts good and idles. When you go to give it gas it dies. Checked spark, compression (100 psi), fuel flow seems good. Plugs good. Heard that compression should be 140. Not sure where to go next on this. Have a little experience but not lots when it comes to outboards. Any help is appreciated.

Has the engine sat for any length of time prior to you owning it? Did you check the spark by just grounding the plug to the block or cylinder head? That ignition system should be capable of jumping a 1/2" gap I believe. I would suggest removing the main jet out of each carburetor to inspect for a partial restriction, but if the engine has not been ran for awhile I would suggest removing the carburetors, disassembling and cleaning. Be sure to have the OEM carburetor repair kits on hand prior to performing the carburetor rebuilds. The service manual will provide you with the float level and float drop specs as well. Good luck, and I hope this helps you.

Yes we did the spark check and my son who was helping me saw and felt the spark. One thing I did notice in both carbs was that the jet ( I believe) was off center

Back