Logo

Is it the timer base?

zack19919853

So checking the timer base on my 1990 88 spl. When i check the white and blue wires i get 4.240 ohms..?? Then the rest are with 44.0 ohms. Which is in spec. When i connect the timer base to the pack it goes down to about 1.200 ohms.. do i have a bad timer base? Also i have a timer base that is used that reads 44 ohms all across wires. I have a dva but I’m thinking it doesn’t work.. i have pictures but I can’t seem to figure it out on here.. lol

sounds like the timer base is bad, should be 40-50 ohms. need to check the dva should be 0.5volts.

thank you I was thinking it was going out. Is there an apparent reason why it would? Maybe a bad pack or stator perhaps? I’ll check other part of the ignition system. I noticed a rough idle when I put it in the lake the other day. And started checking the spark and noticed it was intermittently. So I started with the timer base.

Not that I know of, sometimes they just go south. make sure you do your dva checks before you buy a time base.

man I checked the stator and it’s at 120.00 volts which is under what it’s supposed to be. A low battery wouldn’t cause this no? It was cranking at 11.89 volts. Also still can’t get a reading on the timer base for whatever reason… but the blue wire on the timer base is definitely low.

what made you start checking the motor out? (what was the first problem?) make sure you charge up your battery. we need to do DVA and Ohms reading. Was there spark on all four coils? what are your comp numbers? When you checked the stator was it connected to the power pack?

what made you start checking the motor out? (what was the first problem?) make sure you charge up your battery. we need to do DVA and Ohms reading. Was there spark on all four coils? what are your comp numbers? When you checked the stator was it connected to the power pack?

I took it to the lake last weekend. Pretty rough idle, sometimes would stall. Then when in open waters it wouldn’t wot. Now I have cleaned carburetors very well. Checked over with a fine comb. Lol Battery is charged, voltage on stator is at 120v with the power pack and without. That is with the DVA. Now on the brown/white and brown/black are .592 ohms. The ohms on yellow wires from the stator are 1.3 ohms. I had spark on all four but it wasn’t a constant repeating spark. On all coils. The compression numbers are: I checked them after I got back from lake. I appreciate you talking the time to help me! Thank you so much lol
120psi cylinder 2 115psi cylinder 4
120psi cylinder 1
120psi cylinder 3

check the timer base,disconnect the Timer Base connector and check the resistance from the White to the Pink, white to Green, white to Purple and white to Bluewires. The reading should be approximately 40-50 ohms to each wire. dva should be 0.6v.
DVA voltage from the Brown to the Brown/Yellow Stator wire. You should have at least 150 volts.
check the stator as follows.
stator
brown to brown/brown yellow 510-620 ohms dva connected 150-400v dva disconnected 150-400v

Back