Logo

05 5.7 crusader ignition issues

harvctry27

Hello I’m looking for an answer to probably something so simple that I’m over looking. I got in from fishing and in my rush hauling the boat out of the water on the ramp stupidly left the key on with battery’s still on. It took me a couple days to learn this and my battery’s went dead. Whoops never forget that again. Since then I’ve had a no start issue I’ve been try to diagnose. While trying to chase down the issue I have replaced plugs, fuel pump, plug wires, coil, distributor cap/rotor, oil pressure fuel cutoff switch and the 60 amp breaker. Still with no spark. So since that was the case I have a new ballast resistor coming tomorrow but I can’t see that being the fix. Motor cranks over great no issues and has good compression. It is an 05 5.7 carb. It does have a Mallory ignition as well which I have not replaced yet. What could I be missing here that I can’t think of?

could be the ballast resistor.....

I'd suggest to stop throwing parts at an unknown problem and put the effort into diagnosing the problem ....

first test would be to see if there is current flowing into the coil...a voltmeter is ok and a test light works, too.

if there are at least 9VDC on the + side of the coil (Key = RUN) thats a good sign...I'd then check the trigger inside of the distributor (there are plenty of copies of the test procedure on the WWW....

The bad part is now you have added a lot of variables and potentially a new problem(s)...

Do you own a test light. If no, get one (a good one from NAPA). If yes, follow your ignition system from start to key switch, and on. That'll help to keep from guessing at parts.

Back