Logo

1963 Johnson 5.5 Outboard Rebuild

Sorry, didnt realize this was normal, please recommend a way to get that old gasket material off. Tried a little carb cleaner and also tried a little gasoline, noting seems to cut it…

Having just fixed 2 of those vintage engines (and learned about 2 stroke engines in the process) I found that the easiest way to remove the old gasket is with a razor blade. Works like a charm. I would then take a non-abrasive 1.5" sanding pad on my air-powered mini-sander and shine up the metal.

Also, I think it was mentioned already but on both motors I worked on, I got rid of the dumb fuel filter assembly as well as the older fuel pump and replaced with an ebay upgraded fuel filter for a whopping $12 or something. Worked like a charm.

can someone help me with carb kit #439071, I have a type 1 carb, need the inlet nozzle gasket, there are 6 cork like gaskets, 2 clear plastic gaskets, 1 really thick hard plastic washer, a red gasket, and a big o-ring. Could someone tell me which gasket is the “inlet nozzle gasket”. This is the 1st step in manual regarding assembly, the original gasket looked like cork and crumbled. Thanks!

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0439071

All six of the cork like gaskets appear identical, 4 of these are used to assemble fast and slow idle adjustment, not sure about the other 3 cork gaskets.

Thick cork gasket is for main nozzle (NOT plastic)
There are extra parts not used in your motor.

Attachments

• carbkit.jpg
    carbkit.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 34
Thick cork gasket is for main nozzle (NOT plastic)
There are extra parts not used in your motor.

thanks so very much for your help, i have eliminated the really thick o-ring, and the red gasket as you indicated. And have added the thick gasket to nozzle. Thanks again!

Quick rundown…new water pump installed, new fuel pump, cleaned the carb, cleaned up the motor and have everything back together…now, to hook up that fuel filter, install new filter (bag), glass bowl assembly. But I’m gonna need some on this one, how do I get that old filter (bag) off? Tried twisting and pulling, don’t want to budge…

Also, I think it was mentioned already but on both motors I worked on, I got rid of the dumb fuel filter assembly as well as the older fuel pump and replaced with an ebay upgraded fuel filter for a whopping $12 or something. Worked like a charm.

Thanks Bigtime! Just about got this old boy ready to go!

Quick rundown…new water pump installed, new fuel pump, cleaned the carb, cleaned up the motor and have everything back together…now, to hook up that fuel filter, install new filter (bag), glass bowl assembly. But I’m gonna need some on this one, how do I get that old filter (bag) off? Tried twisting and pulling, don’t want to budge…

Twist/pull/pry harder

Twist/pull/pry harder

finally got it off, and installed the new one, kept expecting a snap it pop or something but never did, just pressed up as hard as I could and then installed gasket, glass bowl and clevis. New fuel lines and put it in the barrel. Adjusted fast, slow idle needle valves, then put on the boat and we went for a test run. Had to do some final adjustment on the water and it smoothed out. I think we are really going to enjoy this little boat and motor! Thank you all so very much for all your help!

Back