Logo

1963 Johnson 5.5 Outboard Rebuild

Kytrails

(Model: CD-20) New to outboards, recently obtained this motor which will run but must be choked intermittently to continue running. No fuel filter, so my first impression is the fuel pump and carb are probably plugged up. So, 1st step is to establish a way to run the motor without being at the lake and avoid using this cumbersome barrel. Is it possible to hook up a water hose to water intake on this motor with flush muffs? If so, could someone help me locate the intake?

Last edited:
Main water intake is screen behind the prop.-----Best to use a barrel with water 6 or 8" above the impeller.----I think it had a glass bowl with filter when it left the factory.----Look through the flywheel and inspect the coils.

Main water intake is screen behind the prop.-----Best to use a barrel with water 6 or 8" above the impeller.----I think it had a glass bowl with filter when it left the factory.----Look through the flywheel and inspect the coils.
Thanks for the reply Racerone! Looks like it’s back to barrel when its ready for trial run. Got it on a temporary wooden bracket attached to workbench for now. Back to work tmrw, I’ll try to update after work tmrw evening. Thanks again!

Have you found the water separating glass bowl with the fuel filter ?

Decided to check in on my lunch hour, Yes, ordered it this morning along with actual filter (looks like a little bag), and gasket. Also ordered a carb kit. I noticed that motor seemed to be getting hot when I had it running in barrel, so I checked the water output which was just spitting water, there was not a steady stream so I also ordered a water pump kit.

Powerhead has to be removed to do water pump work.----7 screws and a few other bits.----Not hard to do.----You will need two gaskets and an o-ring for the mechanical seal.

Looking stuff up yourself is a great teacher.---Look at the gearcase parts to find the other gasket and o-ring. -----Items 1 and 3

I’m finished cleaning the carb and wondering if this fuel pump can be cleaned? If not…I have another one on the way, however it is not the original part and looks inferior. The stock fuel pump looks like a better part. I’m thinking it’s probably stopped-up too.

#1 item..driveshaft to crankcase gasket 303355 and item #3 is o-ring 303347. Didn’t order those this morning, got to get them on the way! Thanks!

I’m finished cleaning the carb and wondering if this fuel pump can be cleaned? If not…I have another one on the way, however it is not the original part and looks inferior. The stock fuel pump looks like a better part. I’m thinking it’s probably stopped-up too.

That was a great pump, but is obsolete and parts are no longer available for it.

Thanks for the tip about looking through the flywheel at the coils, just wondering what it is I’m looking for exactly?

Are they cracked? The original coils had an inferior coating that dried up, shrunk, and cracked.

You are looking for old cracked coils.-----All the coils that were installed in 1963 have cracked ( all of them ) , easy to see.----You will find 2 old cracked or 2 newer ones.

Thanks guys I’ll check them out, need part number 308203 (#26 image below), marineengine don’t have it…any ideas where I can get it or how to make one?

Last edited:
Are they cracked? The original coils had an inferior coating that dried up, shrunk, and cracked.

thanks Timguy! Going to check them out next! I dropped the lower until to replace the water pump and have removed the power head. Going to replace original fuel pump and hook-up fuel filter (somebody by-passed it) and have cleaned the carb. Plan on putting it all back together next week and then start on ignition, change plugs, plug wires and check those coils.

How do I clean the screen? Someone painted over it and clogged most of it up, used air compressor to try to blow it out but didn’t do much good…

Why does it need cleaning up? Do you see something I don't? Oily light carbon is normal and will be right back as soon as you use it awhile.

Sorry, didnt realize this was normal, please recommend a way to get that old gasket material off. Tried a little carb cleaner and also tried a little gasoline, noting seems to cut it…

Also, would it be ok to set powerhead upside down on bench to facilitate gasket removal from underside of motor? This is going to take a very long time and a lot of scrubbing to get down to shined metal and it’s very difficult doing it upside down…so turning motor on its head would make it a lot easier to remove gasket.

Back