Logo

Fuel pump conversion done correctly??? - 1993 Johnson 70 HP

Elrod84

I've got a 93 Johnson 70 HP that was converted from VRO to a pre mix fuel pump. I started a replacement on the fuel pump as I found some fuel seepage coming from it when I primed the bulb and was running under powered with some un-throttle surges and thought I might have found the culprit with air getting in and inconsistent fuel pressure. Upon disassembly, I realized the fuel pump had been mounted to the VRO bracket and not tied into the engine mount directly. My question, how is the fuel pump actually pumping fuel? I thought the mechanical fuel pump had to be engaged by something. Or was this done incorrectly? Any insight, links, videos, or diagrams are much appreciated.

Fuel pumps operate from an air pressure pulse from the crankcase..----What other trouble shooting was done ?-----Post the results of a compression test.

I now see the pulse hose and understand this a little better. Thank you. Compression was tested at 125 on all 3 cylinders. Just put on new fuel pump and I've got a new fuel filter coming tomorrow to install. Issue still remains, doesn't feel like its getting full acceleration / top end power, like I'm missing 30% of engine capability. Took it cruising solo and hit 25 mph. In research looks like I should be hitting 35+ mph solo. Its mounted to 16' Alumacraft V Hull.

Make sure you have good spark on all 3 cylinders.-----Make sure there are no restrictions in carburetor high speed jets.----Perhaps check flywheel key.-----What pitch is the prop ?----Is it a 17" pitch ?

Back