Logo

Voltage Drop at Accessories

bubolc

For over a year my accessory electrical has been intermittent on my 2007 Larson Escape and I've been chasing it since it started. It's finally consistently not working and I'm at a loss. I have 12.8V at the master switch, and at the bus behind my counsel, and at each accessory switch; however when I flip any accessory switch (radio, bilge, nav lights, blower, etc) the voltage drops to 0.0 across all accessory switches and at the bus. When I switch the accessory off again I can watch the voltage climb back up to 12V in about 30-45 seconds. I should also note that regardless of voltage drop, I always have 12V at my ignition.

Any ideas what might be causing this or where I should start looking for the issue? Going to bring the battery in to get tested, but it was brand new this season.

Ayuh,.... corroded wirin' connections,..... could be anywhere in the positive, or ground paths,.....

start at the battery, 'n clean all the connections to shiny clean metal,.....

2x on the corroded connection(s)...

and, based on your description, I'd concentrate on the positive side, from the battery to the feed for the accessory switches, and the common "accessory" path in the negative side...

the other thing you can do is use an IR gun to look for one or more 'hot spots' when you have one of the 'voltage killing' circuits active.

Back