Logo

1993 Force 40 - Intermittent issues, now no spark

ebloohm

I've a got 1993 Force 40 that is giving me trouble. Sometimes it will work great and then it will just die and I can't start it. Then I can, then I can't again...

I was on the lake the other day and the engine just stalled. It wouldn't re-start and I had to row myself off the lake (21ft pontoon).
I apologize in advance for the long post but here are all the details:

The next day I started troubleshooting. The first thing I did was try to start it and it fired right up.
After 5 seconds or so I reduced the throttle to idle and it died. Then I couldn't get it to start again.

Compression test:
P1 = 140 psi
P2 = 150 psi

Spark test:
Nice bright blue/purple spark around 5/8" gap on both cylinders.

I realized I'd been mixing my fuel with a little too much oil. The Quicksilver oil container says 3 oz per gallon but it should be 2.6 oz per gallon.
I mixed new fuel and then began checking the fuel delivery system.
The primer bulb is in good shape. No leaks/cracks and stays firm.
The bowl is full of fuel. The pump seems to be working and the diaphragm is in good condition.

Then I found that the fuel primer valve was stuck. I pushed the manual button. After this I could hear the click of the solenoid valve when I pressed in the key.
So I turned the engine over but forgot to reconnect the spark plug wires.

Re-did the spark test and got nothing...

New ignition coils arrived 2 days later.
I connected them and the engine started right up.
This time I left the throttle open a little longer before reducing it to idle.
While fiddling with the throttle linkage I noticed it's a little sloppy. The cam was not in contact with the eccentric roller. If I manually moved the cam a little, it would move the timing linkage and the motor would get a little sputtery. I decided the timing linkage needed adjustment. I let the engine run at an idle while I thought about my next moves. Then it just died. I turned the key and it wouldn't start.

I don't recall what I checked next but in the process of inspecting the plugs and other things I managed to turn it over with the P1 spark plug wire disconnected (again).
Worried that I destroyed another coil I checked for spark. There was no spark from either coil even though coil 2 was connected to an installed plug when I turn the engine over.

Then I dug deeper into the ignition system:

It has a Thunderbolt CDI ignition with a single speed stator and adapter.
I ran the following tests in order:
Spark Test: FAIL
Stop Circuit Isolation: PASS (disconnect yel/blk, still no spark)
Switchbox Stop Circuit Test: PASS (290V at yel/blk wire)
Stator Output Test: PASS (290V)
Stator Resistance Test: UNKNOWN Measured 688 ohms. Presumed OK. Spec for original 2-speed stator says 6800 to 7200 ohms but this must be an aftermarket stator with the adapter.
Trigger Resistance Test: PASS (846 ohms)
Ign Coil Input Test: UNKNOWN (measured 0V but the manual does not specify this test. I tested with the wire still connected to the coil.)
Ign Coil Resistance Test:
P1 Primary: 0.2 ohm
P2 Primary: 0.2 ohm
P1 Secondary: 453 ohm
P2 Secondary: 452 ohm

So I think the stator and both coils are OK.
What I'd like to test next is the Trigger signal. The trigger resistance is OK but I haven't tested it's output. The manual doesn't specify a test procedure but I found that it should source 4V to the switchbox.

I have 2 new ignition coils and a new switchbox on the way.
I may have zapped the switchbox when I turn the engine over with the P1 plug wire disconnected.
Even still, before then, the engine has a history of starting right up, then dying. Then absolutely nothing. If I let it sit for a day it starts right back up.

I'm suspicious of the throttle/timing linkage as well as the trigger.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Erik

I got the test procedures/values from a Clymer manual.

Test results per outboardignition.com:
Red Stator: 688 ohms, 290V
Red Stator Adapter: 290V
Trigger Purple - White: 815 ohms, 3V
Trigger Purple - Gnd: open, .9V
Trigger White - Gnd: open, .8V

Switchbox output to Ign Coil Primary: 0V

So it seems my trigger output is low.
Cranking speed = 450 RPM
I do not see any damage to the trigger.

Should the switchbox still fire with a 3V trigger?

You using a DVA or Peak Reading Volt Meter?
You getting 3v on all leads? That's probably ok.
Triggers don't usually go bad.
The stator can test good and still be bad.

No Fire At All:

1. Disconnect the black/yellow kill wire AT THE PACK and retest. If the engine’s ignition fires now, the kill circuit has a fault-possibly the keyswitch, harness or shift switch.
  2. Disconnect the yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier and retest. If the engine fires, replace the rectifier.
  3. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to fire properly.
  4. Check the stator resistance and DVA output as given below:
Motors with Black Stator
WireRead ToResistanceDVA
Blue
Red
Blue/White
Red/White
3250-3650
75-90
180V or more
25V or more

Motors with Red Stator
WireRead ToResistanceDVA
White/GreenGreen/White500-700180V or more
Red Stator Adapter
WireRead ToResistanceDVA
BlueEngine GroundOpen180V or more

Yes, I'm using a DVA. 3V across the trigger.
I replaced the switchbox and it's running better than it ever has. I think it's been marginal since I bought the boat.

I have a follow-up question though.
When testing the trigger, why does CDI and everywhere else say to check the voltage between the 2 trigger leads and the voltage from each trigger lead to engine gnd?
The trigger coil is floating and would have no defined potential relative to gnd.

You'd have to ask CDI that question.

I have 2 DVA meters(needed another one while my meter was being repaired)They can be off when compared to one another???

Back