Logo

Honda 115hp 4 stroke

rf35356

Can someone please help me. Apparently nobody really works on Honda’s where I live, or knows a lot about them.

we own a 2002 Honda 4stroke 115hp that seems as it’s to loud when the engine is running. I remember this engine sounding a lot quieter. It also seems as though it lost some of its top speed.

if any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it

Have you done anything that might have raised the height of the motor?

The cooling water being exhausted after cooling the engine is directed into the engine exhaust to help quiet the motor. When was the last time the water pump was replaced? Does it look like the tell tale is squirting a strong stream of water? Cooling seems OK?

Speed can be weight related (time to put the boat on a diet?), crap growing on prop and hull, prop condition, wave and air temp related, lot's of factors....

Have you done anything that might have raised the height of the motor?

The cooling water being exhausted after cooling the engine is directed into the engine exhaust to help quiet the motor. When was the last time the water pump was replaced? Does it look like the tell tale is squirting a strong stream of water? Cooling seems OK?

Speed can be weight related (time to put the boat on a diet?), crap growing on prop and hull, prop condition, wave and air temp related, lot's of factors....

Actually the tail tail has not been working for years….the water pump and other things have been replaced on the lower unit. Of you have anything g or any suggestions to try and get the tail tail working ?

The engine sits on a large pontoon and never been removed. The cooling of the engine seems fine. I just don’t know what to do to get the tale tail working. I have been trying to ask that for years lol

Fresh water or salt water?

Most of the time it's just some crud blocking the outlet. Happens all the time. Tiny wasps love packing that outlet with mud for instance. Generally easily cleared by weed trimmer line or something similar.

Are you sure you haven't moved some weight forward recently, that might have shifted enough weight to lift the back an inch or 2? Add a trolling motor or diving board forward maybe? Some other new toy?

It’s lake water. Are you saying all I need to do is run a line through the tape tail hole and see if it’s clogged ?
how to I find where the tape tail line is connected to, so I can trace it ?

Changed the thermostat lately- did it look clean in there? Telltale comes out starboard side, just run the line back up it as far as you can, then run the outboard again and see if it’s cleaned out.

Plugs changed lately?

Good idea to get a real Honda shop manual for this outboard.

Last edited:
Back