Logo

Startup process for 454 crusaders sitting for years

Billigan

Hello everyone. I am new here, I have read a lot of threads and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am new to boat motors but am mechanically inclined.

I just purchased a 1990 41’ Mainship with twin 454 crusaders. The boat has not been run in 3 years sitting in saltwater in Southern California.
I plan to do the following before trying to start them.

Drain old fuel
Rebuild carburetors
Replace impellers
New plugs wires and distributor caps
Drain and replace coolant
Replace Fuel filters / separators

Would you recommend
Pulling the spark plugs and adding oil or WD40 to the cylinders?
New/ rebuilt fuel pumps
Change oil before or after starting

Risers are 3 years old with low/ no hours, will they need to be replaced just from being in the water?

Please let me know if there is anything else I should do before trying to start my 454 crusaders.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Bill.

so you bought a 41' without having the engines run let alone take it out for sea trials....you are a brave individual!

I would take the 'least expense' approach until you are sure you didn't "buy a project"...you should clean out the fuel tank and replace the filters....the carb rebuild can wait until after they have run unless a major issue is found during startup...same for coolant changing - and if it tests ok, that could likely be deferred a while...

I'd get the engines started before changing anything in the ignition system, unless something is impeding the spark delivery...

If the oil is at the proper level and isn't hideous, I'd be inclined to start them with what's in the crankcase.

It wouldn't hurt to remove the plugs and look for water (or its former presence)...and give the cylinders a squirt of oil...and then make sure the engine will spin over freely...and build oil pressure...you could pull the distributor and prime the oil system if you have the tools...

I'd be inclined to use an outboard tank to get each engine started and then work the fuel tank...

Thanks Mark,

The boat was acquired as a “Project”. It is within my budget to re-power if needed but from what I’ve read in this forum I should be able to get them up and running without issue.

if they were 'stored' properly, I'd agree but that's TBD right now.

FWIW, if the fuel pumps are not working, they are replace not overhaul...once once you get the engines running and the fuel tank clean, I'd change the anti-syphon valves, too...

Back