Logo

1992 Johnson 15 dies just above idle but runs fine at higher speeds.

jeffrods

Hello, I am just about at my wits end with this outboard: 1992 johnson 15 J15RENM
I can get it to idle just fine and I can shift into gear and cruise around at idle speed without an issue but when I give it more throttle it starts to putter out and eventually die, I can however quickly give more throttle and run at higher speeds without a problem, but when I ease up on the throttle it will putter out and die right about at the speed I want to be cruising through the no wake zones at.

Here is everything I have already done to the engine.
I was gifted this from a friend and it had been sitting outside for about a year not running.
I did a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel pump and replaced all gaskets, replaced all fuel lines and am running a new fuel tank and hose, new impeller, changed gear oil and put in a new thermostat (which was missing)
After all that got her idling nice in a bucket and went for the inaugural splash on a Gheenoe I just finished restoring. The engine ran great until it cut out after about 20min of running around, I believe due to a loss of spark, finally got it started again after about 20min of tugging on the starter. I ended up submerging the engine on the way back, I let my brother drive (first mistake) and we were going pretty fast through back creeks trying to keep the engine from dying on us again. During a sharp turn with some operator error and clamp screws not tightened down enough I got to watch my outboard kick itself off the transom:(. After grabbing the engine and paddling back she sat in a freshwater bath overnight and I ran through the pickle procedure the next day, turned a bunch of 2 stroke oil through the cylinders, re cleaned carb and fuel pump, replaced the whole ignition system with the exception of the charge coil and lam assembly.
I got her started back up and back on the water and now its giving me this issue. My initial thought was that I had the slow speed adjustment off since I didn't think to count the turns when I first disassembled the carb. I did tune it first following Leeroys ramblings instructions and then again following the Joe Reeves instructions with similar results.
Any thoughts on what might be going on with this Johnson?

How fast was the motor running when it went for a swim ?-----Did the engine come to a " dynamic halt " ( sudden stop ) and if it did check the flywheel key.

I had to take the flywheel off while I was working on the ignition, I didn't see any damage to the key while I was under there.
I would say the engine was at about halt throttle when it took a dip, but it did disconnect from the gas line on its way in so I think that might have saved it.

Back