Logo

mercrusier stern drive trims up but not down

big tom

I have a mercrusier alpha one gen 2 stern drive. After taking it out of srorage this spring, i found the drive will trim up but not down. Anybody have any ideas.

Also is there a screw or something that I can turn to let the drive down on an emergency basis; like there is on outboards

thanks

Nope, does the solenoid click? does the motor run at all? was it stored in the up position?
Reverse the trim lines at the pump for testing

I appears that my my long and well thought out reply has evaporated into cyber space - Here is a shorter version:

I assume the down solenoid is the one that has a green wire coming out of it (green = grass so down)

Here is what I did: I disconnected the wires from the two larger nuts on the solenoid with the green wire; then I wire brushed the connectors then hooked the wires back up and rigged a jumper wire between them. When I connect the two big terminals briefly with the jumper the pump makes the same noise as it does when I push the down button on the shift throttle handle but the drive does not go down.
Another thing I forgot to mention is when I unwrapped the boat this spring I found the trim fluid reservoir was about half empty . I filled it but it does.t seem to make any difference .Does this system have to be bled

I am not sure what position I stored it in but I usually store it down or mostly down to avoid snow and rain accumulating in the lower part of the drive

Finally, is there ANY way to get the drive down

I will try reversing the trim lines at the pump to test

Thanks very much form your help

Tom

I finally had a chance to reverse the trim lines at the pump. Now the drive goes up and down only difference is it goes down when I push the top (up) side of the button on the shift throttle handle and up when I push the bottom (down) side of the trim switch. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks

storing the drive in he full up position tends to jam up the cylinders. Reversing the lines uses the higher pressures to get the drive to lower . reversing the lines again will allow it to work correctly

The down pressure line is a low pressure line and it will burst if left hooked up backwards. Exercise the drive trim while oiling/greasing the rams and then put the lines back in the correct orientation.

It is not uncommon when raising drive all the way up and holding button in longer than needed it causes the extreme high pressure to "freeze" the valving in pump.
Have seen this many times.

What I reccomend to many is,
When raising drive all the way up, once there press the trim down briefly to relieve the pressure on the up valving..

I have made this habbit for my own boat.

The way to correct for this to allow drive to go down is to loosen lines at pump to relieve pressure, re tighten lines and drive should work as normal.

many, many thanks to Jack in Mass Chris at Dockside marine and Bt Doctur; between the three of you you solved my problem (your suggestions worked great my trim/tilt system seems to be working as it should now) and you undoubtedly saved me some money.Thanks again and if I can ever return the favor let me know
Tom

Back