Can you spot the problems?

20210720-151326.jpg

20210720-151219.jpg

20210720-151246.jpg

20210720-150857.jpg

20210720-150959.jpg

20210720-150921.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like it might be running on 1 cylinder.-----Compression test needed.----Post the values.----Check spark.-----Good spark on those can easily jump a gap of 5/16" on a test device.----Other than that I see a 9.5 HP motor in the pictures.----Looks just like other 9.5 HP motors.-----Worked on lots and have a bunch of parts motors.

Where's a video of it hesitating at slow idle? That motor has been overheated at some time in it's life. May or may not have anything to do with it.

Yes. I'm from downtown Toronto.

And took her for a spin around the Toronto islands ( Center Island )

I haven't done anything to it yet.

Just pulled and cleaned the plugs and tightened the fuel lines.

I heard these motors typically go 8-12 mph (12-19 kmh )

Is there anything else I can do to improve performance ?

See if you can find a shop in the GTA that has a TEST PROPELLER.-----You could test the motor and see if it is actually putting out the power as built in Peterborough.

Thanks can you recommend any shops, preferably someone who won't try to rip me off

Is there anything I can do to myself improve efficiency or performance maintenance wise

Sorry-----You already questioned the expertise of someone with years of experience elsewhere.( Florida ) I believe.----I also own about 10 of these motors 3 hrs away from you.----Not going to risk giving you advice on your motor or where to take it.-----Call around and see what help you can find.

Sorry-----You already questioned the expertise of someone with years of experience elsewhere.( Florida ) I believe.----I also own about 10 of these motors 3 hrs away from you.----Not going to risk giving you advice on your motor or where to take it.-----Call around and see what help you can find.

Not sure how asking a question could hurt? Didn't seem to be ment in a harsh way from my end.

To the OP, from your second video it sounds better. But check your spark, compression first. Second check things visually to see if things look right. IE, no bent of sticky linkage, wires that are cracking, fuel lines that are sorta kinked. Other than that if things check out, you should have a good runner. Those old 9.5s weren't barn burners, but they did what they were designed to do. If you want more hp buy a 9.9 and do the 15hp conversion on it. I finished mine and I am very thrilled. A 1975 Johnson 9.9, that acts a bit bigger. But still idles as smooth as can be, loads of low end torque, and revs nice. I am looking for a 9.5 for a project as we speak, but covid has people money goofy now.

. I am looking for a 9.5 for a project as we speak, but covid has people money goofy now.
Brupp where are you?
Here in Canada, those 9.5s are listed every week, with statements such as, “maybe needs a carb job”, ran well last season, won’t start now”.
They can be had for $150-$250, that’s around $200USD.
I’ve never persued them, as it is easier, cheaper, & better resale value on the newer types.

Just looking quickly, here are a few 9.5’s, these come from short season, low hours, the ines that run are only $400, ($300US).
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...egion/johnson-9-5-hp-runs-good-400/1569251403
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/city-of-toronto/9-5hp-evinrude-outboard-motor/1572143046
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/thunder-bay/johnson-9-5-outboard-motor/1577945009
look at that last one, clean as a whistle, it’s a ‘79, includes tank & hose. $300 CDN...OBO, probably $200 cash buys it, that’s $170 US.

Brupp where are you?
Here in Canada, those 9.5s are listed every week, with statements such as, “maybe needs a carb job”, ran well last season, won’t start now”.
They can be had for $150-$250, that’s around $200USD.
I’ve never persued them, as it is easier, cheaper, & better resale value on the newer types.

Just about 2 hrs south of Fort Frances. There are one of two close by that are close to my price range. I am admitably a cheap skate!

Good deals can be had if you're willing to drive 2-3 hours from your location. $100-$200 for motors that need work and $300-$400 for running motors

Here's a video of carb cleaning the high speed jet:

https://streamable.com/qrx0eh

There's a small hole squirting out carb cleaner on the opposite side of the high speed jet to the exterior

A friend says this isn't normal and says there should be a mixing screw there

Is he wrong ?

Last edited:
I am not there looking over your shoulder or looking at your motor.----I can only go by what you say or show.----Inspect the front mount.

Back