Logo

Starter won't engage.

ezgn

My friend purchased a new Tohatsu 15 H.P. outboard with pull start and electric start. From day one the electric start does not function. We jumped the started the starter to test it and it engages fine. He never filled out his registration papers so his warranty will not cover it. We checked all the connections and everything seems fine. Any suggestions on trouble shooting the problem would be appreciated.

You did not mention model. I am assuming it's an MFS15E. You verified the starter motor is working. Did you try testing the starter relay? Is there power to the relay? You should be able to have your dealer register the motor online with Tohatsu so you have coverage. For that matter, since apparently the dealer did not do a PDI, maybe they will look at it.

You did not mention model. I am assuming it's an MFS15E. You verified the starter motor is working. Did you try testing the starter relay? Is there power to the relay? You should be able to have your dealer register the motor online with Tohatsu so you have coverage. For that matter, since apparently the dealer did not do a PDI, maybe they will look at it.

Thanks for the reply. My friend bought it 4 months ago. He is out of town so I don't have the info.He bought it from an online outboard motor dealer.I am just trying to help him out. I don't have access to any info. or paperwork. The starter relay, can you tell me how I can gain access to where I might be able to locate the position of where this relay is located. I know the model # would be important,I just don't have access to this info, and my friend is out of town a great deal of time. Thanks

Actually not exactly. I'm thinking a relay opens and closes a circuit. Exactly how this relay routes the power to and from i am not clear on. Thank you. I am going to open the pdf you sent me now.

The starter is already grounded. a low-amp trigger wire causes the relay to engage (close), allowing the high current to go to the starter. For more info, maybe you need to check with a friend who knows about cars and outboards.

Okay,I located the starter solenoid #3h8760400 is this the part you are referring to? I tried the mechanic friends but they all shied away from an outboard. Is there an easy way to check the relay with a meter?

Back