Logo

Rebuilt 2006 150 wont get enough rpms to get on plane

I took my 150 off of the boat to a Honda dealer (to the mainland). A complete rebuild (new short block) has been done. I reinstalled the motor on the boat and rehooked up the linkages, gas, etc. Boat in water now will not get enough rpm's to get up on plane (3300 +/-). I dont want to take the motor off island again and I don't want to trailer boat over the Deception Pass bridge. Side mount control looks good, linkage looks fine. Something simple is not correct.
Appreciate help
Thanks
[email protected]

A good workshop should not hand a rebuilt motor over without a proper test. It could be anything. The only thing you can check is that the throttle body is opening fully. Apart from that, I would say the repairer should be called out to diagnose.

Agree with Ian on the throttle body fully opening. Check your throttle cable thoroughly both the engine and at the throttle at the console. I don't have a 150 manual, but there will be a procedure for setting it up properly.

Thanks for getting back to me. Boat is in a moorage on an island. I could get the boat on the lift and have it pulled out of the water onto my trailer. Then get boat, trailer and 4wd Van onto a ferry for the 1hr ride to the mainland. I will have to wait till early spring when tourists dont clog the whole ferry system.

My Seloc manual shows the proceedure but I doubt that I have the skill to do anything now but check the linkage on the newer Honda side mount control. (in the cabin)

Honda certified repair mechanic says engine it was operating properly on the engine stand after the rebuild (in his shop off the island, $7500)

Back