Logo

Default HELP in finding a short causing no start to diesel

hapibeli

How do I find a short that doesn't allow my Nissan MN22 to start. It blows a 20 amp fuse each time I try to crank. I unplugged the bilge pump to no avail. New starter, new starter battery. Ideas?
Thanks all.

Bought the boat in July 2019. Previous owner was restoring it, but became ill, and passed. I have had a tough time finding info on these Beaver Glass Hull boats. Schematic? No such luck. Likely will be a physical tracing.

local marine mech installed the new starter, checked all connections, then got too busy to trace a short after I removed old bilge pump proving that wasn't an issue.

Batteries bought in 2020. $1200 dollars CDN worth, and solar panel and controller installed by Pacific Yacht Systems. Have good confidence in that install.

I did remove some old wires attached to nothing at one point, but probably the windstorm last winter shook something, and my health issues prevented me getting to the boat till first of March, the no one was available until April. My health now allows me to get out there. Boat is on a hook in Montague Harbour.
I've asked a different mechanic, but she's as busy as an ant on a hot griddle. The shame is, that boat runs sweet once she runs.

there may not be a 'short'...hard to say without seeing what you have...

do you have any idea which circuit(s) the 20 amp fuse protect?

Re: HELP in finding a short causing no start to diesel

makomark

Batteries and solar install done in 2020. The windstorm and short were this Winter/Early Spring. Everything was Jake until the windstorm. When I've pressed the glow plug, all OK, but when I turn the key all the way to ignition, I can watch the fuse blow.

Will have to trace the 20volt fuse by hand

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... You need to trace the start circuit, 'n only the start circuit, which should be yellow/ red wires from the key switch, through the safety switch in the controller, to the slave solenoid, to the starter's solenoid,.....
The bilge pump should be on a circuit all it's own, 'n irrelevant,.....

Back