Logo

Shift controller help

Zxeric

I recently purchased a 1983 Galaxie with a 2.5L omc 400 sterndrive. P/O could not get it started when I looked at it and he kept messing with old points. After I looked at it he had the points so messed up they never even opened. I am confident that since I replaced points, condenser, cap, and rotor the proper way according to the 3400 manual I bought, it should fire up now. However after doing all that work last night and attempting to fire it up, I get nothing at all when I turn the key. Not even a solenoid click. I have power to everything. I noticed that the shifter will not lock into neutral and I can go from reverse to forward without touching the unlock button. The manual doesn’t show anything for my type of shifter. Surprisingly it seems to show more outboard shifters than I/O which confuses me. I can’t seem to find anything about the neutral safety switch online (can’t even find a pic of what to look for). Can anyone help with removal and disassembly of the shifter to find out why it won’t lock into neutral?

Ok so quick update if anyone cares lol. I figured out what the problem was……I thought I was in neutral because the throttle lever was straight up amd down. When I looked at the shift plate thing at the back of the motor I noticed it wasn’t lined up with the neutral mark. Was able to readjust the throttle to be in neutral when it was straight up. Easy fix because it fired right up on starter fluid but quickly died out because it doesn’t appear to be getting any fuel. I can tell the fuel pump is new however I noticed the fuel water separator on the transom is not mounted it’s just hanging there. I’m hoping this will be another easy fix once I remount that and change the separator filter. I’m guessing it hasn’t been changed in a long time. If anyone has any other thoughts on why I’m not getting fuel with a new pump please enlighten me.

Back