Logo

(HONDA 2006 BF90) Piston shot threw the Engine block - hole in the block now.

Nighthll

As the title says, the piston has shot through the engine block of my Honda 2006 BF90. I know this is a huge repair, but am trying to get some info into what it might costs to repair - or what parts might be needed. I’ve never worked on boat motors, but have done some car engine repair (I know you probably cant compare) but im not opposed to looking into doing it myself, just not for sure if it’s plausible. Any suggestions, advice, or info into this would be appreciated greatly!

My vote, used block/short block. Watch ebay....

Not much left that's usable on a block that's been holed like that. The head may not even be usable.

DIY project will be no fun, but it WILL be way more affordable, and within reach of somebody willing to be patient and follow the manual carefully. Not an afternoon project..... Take lots of pics as you tear it down.....

My vote, used block/short block. Watch ebay....

Not much left that's usable on a block that's been holed like that. The head may not even be usable.

DIY project will be no fun, but it WILL be way more affordable, and within reach of somebody willing to be patient and follow the manual carefully. Not an afternoon project..... Take lots of pics as you tear it down.....

thanks man, aside from the block do you think we would need anything else? And if we buy the block, that comes with all the pistons and internals right?

I found this one on eBay, if this is what your referring to.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113732676390?epid=1081563761&hash=item1a7afeeb26:g:e54AAOSwUoNaIAho

I agree. You're after a "short block". That'll contain all the guts. Yours are junk.

As mentioned, there's about a 50/50 chance you may need a head as well. It depends on what that looks like when you pull it down. There's a good chance of physical damage to the head itself, and even more chances that you have some bent valves. The head needs to be pulled and examined carefully!

You can buy the head and short block separately, or you can buy what is called a long a "long block" that includes the head, and are often called power head or powerhead.

You could also buy a parts motor. A little riskier (or maybe a LOT riskier?) as you have no idea what the inside looks like. I am not sure of interchangeability, what year motors you need to be looking for that will work with yours.

Is your motor fuel injected, or does it have carbs?

Back