Logo

Drive Shaft, Force 120 HP 1997, M#120ELPT Serial # OE264525

I removed the lower unit to install a water pump kit. When I pulled the lower unit, there is no seal ring or wear sleeve on the shaft or stuck in the splines in the crank shaft. The parts list shows these each located on the shaft for this model.
The drive shaft does not have the seal ring "Notch" in the upper part of the shaft that my Force 90HP had.
Does this model have these parts?
Also there was gear lube from the lower unit on the top side of the gear case around the shift shaft area. I have not removed the shift shaft retainer yet.
Can the O ring and seal be replace easily once the retainer is removed?

Thanks everyone!

The 97 has nothing on the end of the drive shaft.
The parts diagrams shows it but it's not there.
The shift shaft seal is easy to replace.
The hardest part will be keeping the lower in the right gear when reinstalling.

Any tips on keeping it in gear?
Also, the water pump base came with my Quicksilver replacement kit. The seal for the drive shaft is installed in the plate. With no water in the gear lube, would you replace the base. If it cleans up ok, shouldn't I wait until the seal starts to go? Maybe next impeller instal?
Thanks

On reinstall of the lower unit, when i turn the prop to align the splines the prop shaft and clutch are not fully engaging. Makes a popping noise and turns freely. The unit shifted fine when I ran the motor, but I noticed the same popping noise when I turned the prop to put it into forward gear before the lower unit was removed. So I can get the lower unit in place, shift lever splines are engaged. Water pump inlet is in, but the unit will not move higher because the drive shaft splines are not aligned. Question would you turn the flywheel to align the crank-drive shaft splines, or try and shift the lower unit into reverse, then turn the prop counterclockwise to align the shaft splines?

Put it into Forward.
Install prop on the propshaft(vicegrips work too)
Then as you lift the drive you reach down and lift/pull up on the prop blade with your right hand and that turns the driveshaft and the splines align.

Finally getting back on this! My problem is I don't believe the lower unit is all the way into forward. If I turn the drive shaft clockwise, the prop shaft turns clockwise. But when I turn the prop clockwise, the drive shaft does not move and the lower unit makes a popping noise. Can't I turn the shift shaft to move the drive all the way into forward so the clutch engages? Or ? am I in deep crap with this drive. It operated fine before I started

This drive is a PITA to reinstall :(
First find N with the shift shaft, then 1/4" in either direction puts it in F or R
Turning it to the left 1/4" should be F
Reinstall the drive without letting the prop turn backwards, turning backwards drops it out of gear and
you'll need to start all over again.
Keeping steady pressure by pulling up on the props right hand blade keeps it in F
It might take 5-6 try's before it's in right.

I believe you are correct with the PITA! I did not have these problems with my 90HP Force!
You must be saying 1/4th turn to the left is forward.
Trying again.
Thanks

Got it! had to turn the flywheel to align the splines. New problem, will not shift out of forward, and turning the prop clockwise produces a popping noise and does not engage the shaft. I will check the linkage but this was what I blogged about in the beginning of this tale! I ran this motor in a tank. The water pump worked for a short period of time, and the lower unit shifted in and out of forward, reverse, and neutral, then the water pump quit. When I was getting ready to pull the lower unit to rebuild the pump is when I notice the problem. Any chance I have lost the connection on the lower end of the shift shaft? I will check all linkage but this is what the lower unit did when I pulled it. Turn the drive shaft, prop turns, turn the prop, and it just makes the popping noise. Turn the shift shaft, no change.

(Any chance I have lost the connection on the lower end of the shift shaft? I will check all linkage but this is what the lower unit did when I pulled it. Turn the drive shaft, prop turns, turn the prop, and it just makes the popping noise. Turn the shift shaft, no change)
You could have the shift rod set 180d off???
Once you find F very important to keep it in F
By pulling up on the prop blade with your RIGHT hand.
This keeps it in gear and moves the splines so they align.
Might take 5-6 times to get it right??

Hey Jerry and everyone!
FYI, I completed the lower unit install and everything ran well.
I have a tip for anyone having trouble reinstalling this lower unit.
A 9mm socket will fit onto the splined shaft. Use a quarter inch drive ratchet to turn the socket and you can "feel" the shift locations much easier, than by hand or pliers.
You will have much more control of the shift rod this way, turning the prop or prop shaft clockwise as you shift is a must, shift into Neutral!
Use a ratchet tie down with hooks, place a hook on each side of the lower engine cowling and wrap the strap around the lower unit above the prop shaft and ratchet the lower unit up into the engine as you align the drive shaft, shift shaft and water pump inlet. Then once the drive shaft is up against the crank shaft spline opening, with gentle pressure upward with the ratchet strap, turn the FLY WHEEL clock wise to align the splines and wala! You will see the lower unit move up as the shaft aligns. Hope this helps someone!

Back