Logo

Spark But No Spark?

fishndan

‘96 8hp Evinrude 2stroke, E8REDS
when I check for spark with the enclosed tester on the left, I get spark from both plugs.
when I use the spark gap tester on the right , I get no spark.
Is this possible, or am I using the testers incorrectly? If this is possible, what is my next step?
I have adjusted the gap distance drim 3/8” down to 1/16” with no results.
Thanks in advance!85C98310-ABA2-4945-8CDA-C5DB5082798A.jpeg

The tester on the left will glow with a much lower voltage.---Makes you think you have spark.----The proper test unit is on the right.----It is what we call an open air tester.----It sort of proves that you have no spark.----My guess on that motor is the power pack.----Test the sensor coil and charge coil under the flywheel.----Can be tested without removing the flywheel.----Report your values in ohms.

I doubt both of those failed at the same time.----And those 2 items are very reliable.----How are you testing these items ?

Performed the power pack output test as described in service manual, multimeter and PL-88, no voltage displayed. So, power pack as racerone first indicated?
Also ordered the carb rebuild kit from here and will clean carb while down. Anything else since I’m at the replace/maintain part of working on this? Thanks

Back