Logo

RH Crusader distributor

MattC

Hi all, I believe I have a distributor problem and I'm looking for a replacement. It seems to be making a loud whine and my tach is jumping around when the whining starts, but the engine is remaining constant. So, it is just the tach that is jumping around. The problem is that this is a 2003 Classic series 5.7L with a RA107042 (RH engine) distributor. I can't seem to find anyone with this distributor in stock or even anyone able to order one for me.

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out my best option. Should i try to have it rebuilt? or buy a standard rotation distributor and try to swap out the bottom gear - is that the only difference in the RA107042 vs. the
RA107039M (left hand) version. I can find the standard rotation distributor in stock, but not the RH rotation version...

Does anyone know of a different part number, or some other conversion/swap that would work with this engine?

Would appreciate any advice folks might have.

thanks

Given the MSRP, I'd say get the old one rebuilt...ideally by a local shop...mail order as a secondary option.

If that doesn't work, your plan to swap gears on a LH distributor should work find...

For decades, the distributors used didn't care which way they spun...i suspect the SBCs are the most likely victims...haven't seen it in the BBCs yet...

may not be a reverse rotation dist, check the firing order of the plugs. Find #1, going clockwise 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 . Go to rev motor, #1 is in the same place, but going CCW is the plug order1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2? If Yes the dist rotates the same as the standard motor and only the crank ,or trans is reversed. GM dist all turn clockwise so a rev motor is 1,2,7,6,5,3,4,8

Thanks for the responses. The engine is definitely reverse rotation, firing order is 1,2,7,6,5,3,4,8 and in the past i had to buy a reverse rotation starter for it. The Model number also IDs it as reverse rotation CXRAW0000D. But I confess I wasn't able to decode the serial number since it is 990038 and I'm 95% sure the engine is a 2003 or 2004 model year. My other engine that is a 2009 starts with 69 and decodes ok.

I ended up buying a standard rotation distributor and will try to swap the gears, or have a shop do it for me. Hopefully this will work. Really annoying to have something like this be discontinued with no alternate part available...

the '99 and up "decoder ring" suggests, based on the serial number, that it is a 1999 engine....

I did check the parts data and those engines do use the 'oddball' distributor with the reverse cut gear...previously, Crusdader used a gear drive (RH) so the LH & RH distributors were the 'standard' same part....I have no idea why they switched after doing it for years....that said, its good to know what you have.

The gear should come off easily after removing the roll pin...just be careful and don't scar up the gear or bend the shaft...

sure would like to know how the oil pump works it the pump must turn clockwise
Does the motors rotor turn counterclockwise or clockwise?

sure would like to know how the oil pump works it the pump must turn clockwise
Does the motors rotor turn counterclockwise or clockwise?
Most inboard rear entry applications use a standard starter for a reverse rotation engine

Back