Logo

Shift interrupter stalling motor whenever shifting into gear??

Stingray_190rs

Hi all,

just purchased a new to me 2000 stingray 190rs with 3.0 mercruiser. I fueled it up and bought a new battery and she idled in the driveway so to the lake I went.

after launching I got it running and after a warm up I attempted to shift it into gear, it stalled. I figured it was cold blooded and so I started it, after a little more idling I attempted reverse to which it also stalled. I tried a few more times with the exact same results.

so I returned home to research…after some online searching I seemed to see a lot about the interrupter or shift kill switch. I researched this gadget and I can confirm that when the shifter is moved into gear the interrupter is moving over and actuating the kill switch! Of course the motor is dying if the interrupter is being actuated with each gear actuation.

so, I come to the boards for help…I don’t want to throw unnecessary parts at this thing but I do like sound advice especially as it pertains to a troubleshooting process. I see some buzz about shift cables but I would hate to go through that somewhat extensive replacement to find out it’s not the issue. What are some ways to confirm a shift cable is bad or is the culprit here? Has anyone else experienced this with the interrupter?

thanks all…I’ll post pics when I can.

Nate

shift into fwd and pull the drive to inspect the shift components. stalling when shifting is usually a bad shift cable. The shift interupt should never operate on land, if it does the cable is bad. Stalling coming out of gear is a bad shift cable

do not remove the old cable until you place a guide in it , a old control cable makes a perfect one and is usually available from any shop, You remove your cable core and place the control cable core in its place.. Pull the old cable out leaving the core. Install core in new cable and visegrip the end at the white plastic tube and have a helper pull from inside while you push from outside

Mine did that. We pulled the outdrive off and lubed the lever that moves the shifter and the problem went away.

Jeff

Ayuh,..... The odds are 'bout 90% that it's the lower shift cable, but inspect the rest of the linkages too,......

The switch should Not move, unless In the water, comin' Outa gear,....

Mine did that. We pulled the outdrive off and lubed the lever that moves the shifter and the problem went away.

Jeff

thanks Jeff I’ll do the same to at least check that since the out drive will have to come off for the lower cable anyway. Is that the lever the cable end attaches to?

Update:

today I pushed the shifter into fwd and then spun the prop counter clockwise…it clicked but never locked, I even pushed the shifter all the way forward, no lock.

I then brought the shifter back to neutral and did the same in reverse, I checked the prop and it spun clockwise, not even clicking. So between the interrupter switch and the drive not locking in either direction am I still indicating shift cable?

my next step is to disconnect lower cable at the engine and attempt to manually push/pull for gear changes in the drive.

Last edited:
It is normal for it to click when in forward gear, and spinning the prop clockwise.-----It should lock when you try counterclockwise when in forward.

Ok had the wife spin prop as I cycled shifter and it did not lock prop forward or reverse.

so I took off shift cable at the shift bracket on motor and manually cycled it while she spun prop, I could get prop to lock if I extend or depressed cable far in either direction.
I guess now I’ll look up the travel specs for the cable and see if it’s within spec.

Ayuh,...... Or just replace the lower cable,......

The inner cable wears a groove in the outer casing, causin' slop, 'n binding,.....

Probably oughta replace all the rubber parts, bellows, etc, as they're no doubt past their use by date,....

You are not spinning anyones wheels.

The Alpha shift system has many parts. It is not easy to diagnose the exact root cause without a great deal of understanding and good troubleshooting.

If you have experience and have a basic understanding of all the associated parts then a phone call discussion would greatly improve your chances of finding the root cause.

Based on the most common failure the cable has been suggested as the cause.

Lets hope it is!

During removal I came across a few signs that the cable is in fact old and had not been recently changed…

1) the cable end set screws were completed rusted on and the end had to be cut off.

2) the shift cable end at the lower unit looked like this…

Last edited:
My shift cable feels like it’s too big to fit back through the hole in the transom…I tried and tried to feed it but it feels like it’s just deadending. I’m going to try again tomorrow and recruit another set of hands to help push while I align.

Did you install a guide because if you just try to push it in you may get it caught in the rear flywheel housing cover. Once thru the bellow its only about 3 inches to go inside the boat but it must be routed correctly and that is the reason for the guide cable

Yes I’m using the old core clamped near the shift bracket as my guide…but I’m binding/stopping right in the gimbal housing opening…I’ll remove the shift bellows tomorrow to see if I can confirm visually that the cable is entering the hole in the gimbal housing squarely.

Pull the shift cable bellow, and knock the plastic cable bushing out of the transom assembly..... The cable will then fit through.... Bushing is not needed......

garbage.png

Last edited:
Wow…my bushing was like 4” long and the end facing the outdrive was a bit mangled…I pulled it out into the boat side and smoothed it out and trimmed off the bad end a bit…I greased the ID and put it back in. Now my new cable is pulled and I’ll begin my adjustments. Hopefully some good updates to come.

Yesterday was the first water test…she did great shifts are smooth now and the ignition interrupt only moves coming down out of gear like it should. Thanks to all for the help and advice!!

Back