Logo

BF250 Operating Temperature

Killabite

[FONT=&quot]I've asked several mechanics, Honda Marine Help Line, internet searches and the shop I purchased the boat at what the normal operating temperatures are for the BF250 and have received numerous answers. The temperature on my Honda gauge and through the NEMA 2000 on my MFD both indicate between 190-195 degrees at 4000 RPM's which seems high to me, but have not received any high temp alarms. At idle it's around 140 degrees, 1500 to 3000 RPM's it's between 180 to 185 degrees. I've been told it should run between 160 and 180 in all operating ranges and have also been told 200 degrees is common at or close to Wide Open Throttle. I need more opinions so I can assure I'm thoroughly confused.[/FONT]

It's a modern engine designed to run at higher temperatures for power, fuel economy and
low(er) emissions.

You should though, find out at what temperature it is set to ALARM at.so if it approaches that you will be forewarned.

My guess is it's somewhere north of 215°f but just guessing.

Hopefully Ian will chime in on this because I believe he knows this stuff well.

Good luck

doc & jgmo thank you for the responses. It's just very confusing when the two mechanics I've talked to and a response on another site from someone who indicated he talked to a Honda engineer say it should run at 160-180. All the owners that have responded have said 200 degrees is common. Thanks again for the help.

There is always confusion here. The e xhaust temps run at 160, the block temp is a lot hotter and runs between 190 and 205. The alarm is triggered at 212. The block temp is the temp displayed on your screen

There is always confusion here. The e xhaust temps run at 160, the block temp is a lot hotter and runs between 190 and 205. The alarm is triggered at 212. The block temp is the temp displayed on your screen

Thanks so much. I figured there had to be a logical explanation between what the owners were seeing and what I was being told by professionals. Cheers!

I think a lot of the confusion is caused by where the temperature sensor for the gauge is located on different outboards. My previous engine was a Yamaha F250. It showed around 160 degrees at normal cruise. I was initially surprise at the higher reading with my BF250. But I learned from other that "They all do that."

Back