Logo

1976 55hp johnson getting hot

ABarber90

I have a 76 johnson 55hp that is getting hot on me and shutting itself off. I have checked the impeller and it's practically brand new. Installed by previous owner. And I have replaced the thermostat but it is still having the same issue. I did my best to check for clogs in the system but I didn't find anything. I did notice that it isn't pumping any water out of the two small slots at the back of the power head but I don't know if that matters or not. Can someone please help me figure out what the issue is?

How are you test running this motor ??----On a hose ?----On a boat ?----In a bucket just covering water intake ports ?-----I doubt that these motors shut off due to overheat.-----Is the overheat buzzer sounding ?-----Have you tested the overheat buzzer ?

I've been running it on the boat actually in the water. The overheat buzzer has only came on once and that was while I was running it in the bucket so I stopped doing that. If it isn't shutting itself off then I'm definitely confused about what it's doing because when it does die it will turn over just fine but it will not fire and try to start. It acts as if the plug wires have been disconnected.

Also, it only dies if it's at an idle. I can run it at cruising speed and it hasn't died but if I shut it off after that it won't start for a while like it has to cool off before starting again.

Also, it only dies if it's at an idle. I can run it at cruising speed and it hasn't died but if I shut it off after that it won't start for a while like it has to cool off before starting again.

I've read about coils causing similar problems before but wasn't sure about it because I'm not too good with the electrical parts of engines. I'll check into that and let you know. Thank you.

Haven't had the chance to take the boat to the water. My wife has the covid so we're at home for a little while. Hopefully this weekend.

Back