Logo

Tldi 90 - 2004

loujet

Hi!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I did my yearly water pump impeller inspection a couple of week ago, following the maintenance manual carefully, everything was reassembled properly. Since then, on low rpm there is a growling noise like if the transmission did not went in gear well, when increasing rpm, sound appear to be less. Apart the shift link pin that was taken off to remove the lower unit, nothing else was touched that could be related to gear shift. Very clueless about this one and nearest dealer a couple hours away..

Thanks for any suggestions!
[/FONT]

You didn't mention, but model is probably MD90B. Year is irrelevant. Does it engage both F and R OK? Is the fluid level in the LU ok? Is there anything bent in the shift linkage?

Yes you are right MD90B, it really seem to engage good in F and R, I ran the engine several times just worried when engaged in the lower RPM's vibration/low pitch growling sound. The gear oil is new and filled to the top vent screw. Shift linkage also seem alright. At one point I thought the link sleeve was screwed on the rod and that it could have turned and change the adjustment but it is not...!

Thanks for the time you took to share your thoughts.

I flushed the oil, nothing on my magnet so I'll stick with your last comment!

Wondering, my plugs seems to be very oily each time I winterize, they are ngk pzfr6h and I use semi-synthetic either yamaha, merc when I can't get tohatsu's. Also, after trolling for 2h, the engine was "burped" a couple of time, got our lines in gently went to wot and everything came back to normal.

Back