Logo

Gasket sealant for water pump/oil pan?

23sailor

Forgive me if I was unable to find my question answered in the archives, but I have a question regarding to use a sealant or not to seal the oil pan gasket and the water pump gaskets. The Honda OEM gaskets are a paper gasket with a green film on one side, and a blue film on the other. Is this a temperature-activated sealant, or are other sealants required? I forget what I did at the last change, but in the breakdown of this engine (Honda BF 100), the existing gaskets needed to be scraped from the mating surfaces.

Any extra sealants needed here? Thanks for all everyone is doing here. Gleno Seattle

I use Hylomar Universal Blue on gaskets, it was developed by Rolls Royce for use on aircraft. Works very good on paper gaskets and it never hardens. I can frequently reuse a paper gasket if I have to plus unlike RTV, it doesn’t turn to a rubbery pieces that clog filters and oil pickup screens if you happen to have some inside the gasket where it can move around. Very good to hold o ring gaskets in place on heads and base gaskets on carbs, etc.

BTW, on my old Evinrude, gaskets came with a small tube of this stuff, it had an Evinrude part number and name but was definitely hylomar.

I've always liked the Permatex High Tack spray adhesive for paper gaskets. It is convenient for holding the gasket in place but also allows for repositioning if necessary. It doesn't get brittle and makes gasket removal easier because the gasket doesn't "bake on" over time. It is also inexpensive.

But gasket sealer isn't really a necessity for the water pump or oil pan in this case. Just a convenience.

Proper bolt torque is probably a more important consideration for leak prevention when replacing those gaskets.

Good luck.

Back