Logo

1987 4.3 OMC Alternator with 1 Wire Issue

11b340i

Hey all,

I am in the process of putting my boat back together and when wiring everything back up, i am not sure where my ignition coil is supposed to be receiving power from. On my alternator there is only one post for the orange wire. The purple and red wires along with it were always capped off. Where can i (or where did i maybe?!) get power to the ignition coil. It already has the starter ignition boost wire coming from the starter, i am just not sure where to grab power from for the coil. I have ready that too much voltage may fry the points, so i haven't just wired it directly to an ignition source to it to test.

Any help would be great!

Thanks gents.

Stole this from another thread. Hope it helps.
With the engine idling, I was reading about 9.5 volts on the + terminal and about 4.5 to 5 volts on the - terminal. Not trusting my cheap meter, I double checked with my Fluke 87 and read about .2 volts more. Close enough.

The coil is fed full voltage, about 10 volts while cranking, by way of the starter solenoid. When you release the key, to the run position, it gets power from the ignition switch through the resistance wire. On my engine, the resistance wire runs from the alternator "S" terminal to the coil "+" terminal. The wire from the ignition switch is terminated around the middle of the resistance wire.

From what I understand if you don't have a resistance wire you may want to look into installing a ballast resistor which will achieve the same thing

Hey all,

I am in the process of putting my boat back together and when wiring everything back up, i am not sure where my ignition coil is supposed to be receiving power from. On my alternator there is only one post for the orange wire. The purple and red wires along with it were always capped off. Where can i (or where did i maybe?!) get power to the ignition coil. It already has the starter ignition boost wire coming from the starter, i am just not sure where to grab power from for the coil. I have ready that too much voltage may fry the points, so i haven't just wired it directly to an ignition source to it to test.

Any help would be great!

Thanks gents.

Ayuh,..... There should be purple wires in the harness, which is the ignition circuit,....

Back