Logo

Chrysler Marine 318

R

Rocinante

" I have a Chrysler Marine 318

" I have a Chrysler Marine 318, 1967 vintage. I installed the Intake manifold gaskets with the water ports open (the gasket can be turned so that one or both are open or closed between the manifold and the head). I ended up with water in the oil and a bunch of it in the starboard rocker arm assembly. Someone told me I have to install the gaskets so that the starboard water passage is sealed off.
Anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, do you know of anyone who is familiar with this engine whom I could contact directly?
Thanks, all. "

" From a general standpoint it

" From a general standpoint it seems to me that you should not seal off a water passage. What some people do, is to block off the exhaust cross over to decrease the amount of heat to the intake manifold and thereby gaining some horsepower from the colder inlet air.But, the choke function will be lost so there is a price. The exhaust cross over is located in the middle of the manifold, below the carburetor flange, from one head to the other. "

"Hi,
I own a 1990 26' Bla

"Hi,
I own a 1990 26' Black Watch with twin 318 Chrysler 240 hp engines.
Engine Serial numbers are:

Port K-1084363
Stbd K-1084391
Can anyone tell me where I can view a spec sheet on these engines?
These engines have under 600 hrs on them and still run great. What can anyone tell me about these engines (pro and con).
I am thinking of re-powering to new crusader engines and am hoping to get more speed and better fuel burn. Any suggestions??
Also, where might I get a manual for these engines?

Thanks for the help."

"Vinny...call Marysville marin

"Vinny...call Marysville marine for best source of parts, manuals and info on your 318's. I own a 1988 Alura w/ the same engines that are nearing 2000 hours. They are absoutley bullet-proof and have never been opened up further than the valve covers! Of course they are well maintained and I've always run Mobil 1 in them but they have never given me any trouble. Downside is the fuel burn as I'm sure you know.....You can find Marysville Marine on web and also try Marine Parts Source (866-388-0390)......."

"Have Marine 318 from '70.

"Have Marine 318 from '70. Unknown #Hours. Exh Manifolds about 5 years old. FWC. Suddenly losing coolant, engine frequently will not turn over when starting without stopping at some point. Can turn engine over with socket/breakerbar but can hit slow spot. White exhaust sometimes one side only. Head gasket? Intake gasket? Don't see emulsion in oil. Where to start looking? Many Thanks, Mark"

would anyone know the torque s

would anyone know the torque settings & order for the headbolts on 318 Chrysler inboard....please

"julia, head bolt torque is 85

"julia, head bolt torque is 85 foot pounds, start in the center & work outwards in a criss cross patern"

"chrysler made a m series and

"chrysler made a m series and a lm series 318. the early 318 motors 1967 down to 1959 or so have the heads/valve cover that look jagged on the bottom and have 2 bolts that hold the valve covers on,or called a saw tooth head and a different exhuast bolt patern.these motors have a cooling bypass hose from the thermostat housing to the staboard side head for cooling and there are no exhuast parts at all on the market for 1967 and down motors unless you get them used or nos.i bought 2 elbows nos from 1966 for an arm and a leg.1968-up to 86 are the later style motors witch have all different castings these motors you can get parts from allmost anywhere."

How do you get access to the t

How do you get access to the thermostat on a 1966 crysler 318? can you get a new thermostat and gasket?

"marrysvillemarine.com has th

"marrysvillemarine.com has the updated version part for that motor. you must have the side screw in thermostat? here is the new part to recon the old one part#2846215k its $156 in there book and comes with the thermo,gasket,cover for the thermo and hoses with the T fitting 1-800-367-0987 hope this helps jason"

"Yoh! You people need to star

"Yoh! You people need to start your own threads, not chime in on someone else's! Which problem should we tackle, the original person's, or the bunch that barged in after? There's a "Start New Discussion" button at the top of the sheet to start YOUR own post, okay?

The guy with coolant (water?) in the motor, so it won't turn over: You have a leak in the risers, manifolds, or gaskets that's allowing water to drain down into the exhaust ports. DON'T try to start the engine when this happens or you will do major damage. And don't bar it over, either. Pull the coil wire from the distributor and ground it to the block, then remove the plugs. Start with the furthest aft, lower plugs. If you see water on them, there's where it's getting in.

Jeff"

Does anybody know how many qua

Does anybody know how many quarts of oil a 1966-1967 Chrysler 318 engine hold? They are in a 1967 Unflite Sport Fisher.

i have a 1967 river queen with

i have a 1967 river queen with the old style wide block motors i can not find any exhaust manifolds i am told the motors are probably 1965s the exhaust looks like a big horn all one piece.Can anyone help me.

Back