Logo

150 : Broken zerk from lowering engine onto support

Sum Ting Wong

My buddy has a Parker with a Yamaha 150, approximately 11-15yrs old.
We returned from fishing, and I put the engine support on the starboard side post, and lowered the engine onto the support.
Apparently the support only goes on the port side, as when I lowered the engine onto the support, it snapped off a zerk fitting that also serves as fixing point for a ground wire.

Is this a standard configuration? I can't believe Yamaha would design something like this so that if someone bought a boat used, they would make the same mistake I did.

Is there a workaround to either relocate the ground wire and put in a lower profile, or angled, zerk?
Or, is this just something to live with, letting anyone who uses the boat know before they lower the engine?

My buddy has a Parker with a Yamaha 150, approximately 11-15yrs old.
We returned from fishing, and I put the engine support on the starboard side post, and lowered the engine onto the support.
Apparently the support only goes on the port side, as when I lowered the engine onto the support, it snapped off a zerk fitting that also serves as fixing point for a ground wire.

Is this a standard configuration? I can't believe Yamaha would design something like this so that if someone bought a boat used, they would make the same mistake I did.

Is there a workaround to either relocate the ground wire and put in a lower profile, or angled, zerk?
Or, is this just something to live with, letting anyone who uses the boat know before they lower the engine?
It is always someone else's fault.

I never said I wasn't accountable for my actions you idiot.

All I was looking for is an intelligent answer, on a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon. But, it's apparent that your parents grounded you for not picking up your underwear off the floor. So, all you can do is reply with a non-intelligent answer, because you have no knowledge of the subject, and can't go out to play with the one friend that you do have...possibly.

I swore years ago that I wouldn't frequent forums that would make me engage in a negative manner. Please, for the love of all that is holy, can someone reply with an intelligent answer to help me not feel this way about this forum.

BTW, while unloading at the dock yesterday, we ran into two other people that had the same thing happened, so it's not as rare as one might think.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Why the need for the comment criticizing Yamaha? Man up, admit you screwed up, and simply ask for help.

You are not the first. You won't be the last.

Replace the grease fitting and reattach the bonding wire.

Then take note to properly install the tilt support device. If you loan the boat and support device out then offer the borrower some training.

Maybe install a warning placard. Trailer support this side only. Maybe two. One for each side. Don't install trailer support on this side.

No friends. No underwear. I don't have to worry about leaving either on the floor.

It is a great Sunday. So far.

Last edited:
First off...THANK YOU for the informed response. It is apparent that you're informed about the design, and now I know it's a "feature," not a defect.

If I wasn't clear in the first post, I fully accept my part in breaking off the zerk. A positive did come out of the situation, though. I've got a rollaway full of tools, but nothing zerk-related (other than grease gun) items. Being the tool whore I am, I just bought a zerk repair assortment including thread repair tools, so I can both fix my buddy's engine, and fill my rollaway just a little more.

I've been in the high end auto repair industry for years as a tech, then a manager, and have seen my share of design flaws that shouldn't have made it into production. Having owned many Yamaha products, I just couldn't believe they would make something with an interference fit like that, especially when both sides look the same.

I appreciate the posting of what looks like a portion of the manual. The unfortunate truth is that I'm sure many don't fully absorb all the material (myself included) of any manual before they decide to go play with their new toy, whether it be a boat, bench grinder, or whatever. In the case of my buddy, he bought his boat used, and did not get these materials, so he busted off the zerk when he first got it 10 years ago.

I'll just call it a learning experience, repair his boat, and know what not to do in the future.
BTW, your suggestion of a placard is a good one. I'm going to make a permanent waterproof label to put on that side.

Have a great Sunday.

Back