Logo

Yamaha F40 FET Not starting

EcoR1

Hey guys trying to diagnose an issue with my 40hp FI outboard engine not starting. It is without a doubt a fuel issue. I put a tiny bit of gas into the TB after noticing the supply hose was dry and she started right up. I have confirmed that the low pressure fuel pump works as it spews fuel while cranking. Now my question is what to do next? Im more familiar with carbureted engines and not sure what to look at next or how to check. Im assuming that the system doesnt have enough pressure to pump the fuel to the TB? Any easy check or things I should verify?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Could be the high pressure pump is inop. Have you listened to see if the pump runs when the key is turned on?

That was my next suspect.. is that pump in the vst? Something I can do? I read somewhere that it needs to be done by a tech.. I’ll check tomorrow but no I dont hear that pump running when the key is on

Ok guys, i replaced both the pump and filter in the vst, still no dice.. anyone know where I could look next? Just won’t start unless I put fuel into the throttle body

Back