Logo

4.3l 1988 2bbl - steering cable removal

TreemanMI

Steering started getting hard last year so I knew I had to check the cable out. Disconnected cable from drive and it’s still very hard to turn the wheel. I can move the out drive easily by hand when disconnected. I tried greasing at the zerk on the cable nut and also cleaning the cable end and moving all the way in and out with the wheel many many times and it is not improving at all.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this thing off from the power steering actuator. All the threads I’ve searched don’t talk about this specific type of power steering. Removed the locking bracket and the whole cable/tube just spin. Can’t get the big nut on the tube side to loosen all the way (even though it does turn). Any help out there? This is a alpha one gen 1 drive.

Attachments

• 94AF1BF8-A1EB-4923-8B92-A6BE73C34876.jpeg
    94AF1BF8-A1EB-4923-8B92-A6BE73C34876.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 14
Look for numbers on cable.
If you are purchasing from local marine business bring it along.

Instead of explaing look how to order/measure for a new steering cable...look it up on google.

A new assembly will come with a new steering "box" based on type you have so if you want the same make sure you understand the two basic types.
Rack and pinion and helix screw type.

Back