Logo

Fuel docks have too much water in their fuel?

rjw4259

Contributing Member
I have a Yamaha 150hp 2-stroke that I have been having fuel starvation issues with for a while. I have been told that buying fuel from fuel docks puts you at risk for getting water in your fuel tank. I had a couple fellas said that all my problems with the engine are because I am fueling at my marinas fuel dock. Are these guys right, if so how would the marina not get a ton of complaints if their fuel is full of water? Is this a myth or what? How inconvenient it would be to pull my boat every time I need to fill the fuel tank, why have a dock at all? I'm just looking for the truth here, is it or is it not a good practice to buy fuel from a marina fuel dock? The last time I had the boat serviced the mechanic replaced the water fuel separator and fixed the problem, so how did the filter get filled with water? There is no ethanol in the docks marine fuel to cause condensation so if there was enough water in my tank to clog the filter you would think that pumping fuel from my tank would reveal water in it, it didn't show any?

At my local marina they dip the tank and check for water EVERY DAY.-----I know one individual " charter skipper " who ranted and raved about water in the fuel at the marina.-----I said how come nobody else has this problem..----Police boat filling up with hundreds of gallons every month.-----So I looked at his boat and found his fuel vent quite far forward.----Pointing down and forward.-----Trolling in 4' waves was putting water into his tank.----End of the story.

These "fellas" are either pulling your chain or are brainless, in regard to this matter. Marine fuel stations are regulated by the same EPA standards as auto fuel stations. Moreover, marina station fuel storage tanks are above ground, not below ground like auto stations.

Back