Logo

Major cooling issue

Here's the kicker! PUNT! The rubber freeze plug tightener was rubbing the flywheel. Thus causing the the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise. Cant use a rubber plug at the back of the engine. It was getting dark and I missed it. Wrong recommendation too. I ordered the plug #4 here on marine engine. (D841459) Engine Ser#. It wont fit. Dial caliper puts it at roughly 2". Because plug area is rough. Even after a light wire wheel. Should I have ordered the #2 part with a 2" diameter? NEVER use a rubber plug back there!

Here's the kicker! PUNT! The rubber freeze plug tightener was rubbing the flywheel. Thus causing the the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise. Cant use a rubber plug at the back of the engine. It was getting dark and I missed it. Wrong recommendation too. I ordered the plug #4 here on marine engine. (D841459) Engine Ser#. It wont fit. Dial caliper puts it at roughly 2". Because plug area is rough. Even after a light wire wheel. Should I have ordered the #2 part with a 2" diameter? NEVER use a rubber plug back there!
By tightener you mean the wing nut? You can use a regular nut trim the thread if needed

Cant use a rubber plug at the back of the engine.

yes, very good rule in general....most don't provide enough clearance....and even if you get it seated, if it slips you are highly likely to get interference...

if the block sealing lip is marginal, many times locktite will fill the void just fine....just let is 'cure' overnight before subjecting the plug to any pressure...

Back