Logo

Shifter blowing the transmission?

briantheboater

I was on a sea test the other day on a boat I was looking at and the owner moved the shifter on the starboard side from forward to neutral with the engine running at 1000 rpm. Without going completely into neutral it started making a significant grinding noise for about five or 10 seconds. The owner scrambled to rectify it eventually pushing the shifter back forward. I can’t be sure but I think he initially thought he was moving the throttle and it took a second clue in that he moved the shifter before realizing it and moving back. While sorting out the issue he also noted that he saw smoke coming from the rear of the boat on the starboard side. After that the starboard motor would not operate in reverse on low idle, to the point that when we went back to his slip he was not able to dock. Friends of his around the marina had to rope us in. I found out after the fact that the transmission is completely cooked. Is a shifter being moved from Forward to neutral while the motor is running at 1000 RPM able to cause that kind of damage all at once or was something likely already wrong with the transmission? The motor is a MerCruiser 7.4 in a ‘72 Chris Craft Commander.

I have had a little experience with Velvet drives. Shifting to reverse at higher RPM are significant forward speed is just a common sense no-no. That being said, they are tough as nails. My guess is there are some issues with that trans before you came aboard. This noise could be an easy adjustment or a serious problem. The smoke may be a separate issue. Smoke bad. Buying any boat (especially this size) without having an expert consultant in your corner is risky to say the least. Buyer beware.

If I had to guess, it wasn't the first time that mistake had been made....are you still considering that hull?

Repairing a Velvet Drive isn't difficult. What probably happened is the oil pump went out and the transmission doesn't shift into gear completely. Getting the lump out can be a challenge but it isn't that bad a thing to overhaul. Rebuild kits are readily available.
Replacing would be rather expensive. I would be sure the seller gets it done before you take possession.

Back