Logo

2007 8.1 gi-h starter motor cranking all the time

Dman16

Hello so iv searched high and low for volvo penta wiring schematics found a couple but none for this engines ignition circuit. My problem is I started the boat the other night starter stuck on boat key was off took key out still turning over I switched the batteries off and it finally stopped it. So I tested the ignition circuit from the key to the fuse and to the relay its dead no power well its switched power like it should be .... but I test the ignition wire at the starter where there is the ignition wire and another mystery wire attached to the starter its hot all the time down there. I heard about these one way diodes in the fuel pump circuit?? Possibly back feeding power iv never seen such a thing so if someone could please shine a light on this nightmare for me that would be awsome or a wiring schematic

It's a 2007 volvo penta 8.1 gi-h serial number is 3869370- or the other number is 4012203628

If you remove the Yellow/red at the starters solenoid and turn the battery on,does the starter spin? If Yes, the starters solenoid is bad

If you remove the Yellow/red at the starters solenoid and turn the battery on,does the starter spin? If Yes, the starters solenoid is bad

Ok thanks for the reply!! I'm not down at the boat currently but will be making the trip out this week.. I'm starting to think its the solenoid that would explain why the test light was soooooo bright on the ignition post probably shorted internally and sending strait 12 volt from heavy gauge starter wire!!

The previous owner said he replaced the starter recently but I'm wondering if he put a automotive starter in it after looking around at the oem marine ones!!
Thanks again ill update soon

Back