Logo

Whistling Dixie...oops i mean Tohatsu...

Have a 1996ish M5B. Have factory manual and i maintain the engine...

Since owning it in 2014 it's been running ok. Starts on 1st or 2nd pull more or less. Idles ok. Over the years i've rebuilt the carb (full rebuild), new valve cover, new water pump, etc... last year it ran fine. this year i've been out 3 times and it started and ran strong...so today coining i to the marina aftet motoring for about 20 minutes...it suddenly made this whistling noise...at about 1500-1700 RPM per my "TinyTac". Idling down it goes away, and of course at higher throttle i can't hear it cause the engine is loud...when said noise happens , it doesn't seem to impact performance or idle or anything....

Thoughts on causes? Leaking valve cover or manifold?

Here is a video....

https://youtube.com/shorts/m3vXBp-6XOg?feature=share

Sounds pretty normal for these stone age technology 1 cylinder 2 strokes. Could be a carb/intake whistle. Personally, I would just run it.

Thanks Paul, since it has never made that sound before i was concerned. After listening to the video again it does seem to be coming from carb area. I wonder if there's some crap in the carb? I'll check adjustments, etc and take it out for another run... or maybe the wife will let me get the new 6HP SailPro. looks like they've done some redesign but not sure if it's more cosmetic vs functional.

Sounds pretty normal for these stone age technology 1 cylinder 2 strokes. Could be a carb/intake whistle. Personally, I would just run it.

Back