Logo

Crusader 350 Sherwood P105 Raw Water Pump Installation

Topper844

I have two on my cruiser. Due to different rotation of each engine, My repairman said he had to install one of the pumps upside down. Is this correct? I ran the engine and they seem to be working OK. Manual does not mention this.

I dunno why the repairman did it while upside down. Sounds uncomfortable.

No, you don't need to do that they can run in either direction. You should orient the impeller in the correct rotation when installing. That's so the vanes are not damaged on initial bedding-in.

"upside down" is a bit confusing...with either engine rotation, the pump still has to bolt to the crank pulley....maybe he was trying to say the 'other' pump had its body rotated 180 degrees from the 'first' pump.

when the rotation is reversed, the ports on the pump trade functions (inlet vs outlet)...as long as the engines are cooling under load, dont worry about it...

It does matter....... as if running wrong way it will exit the hull intake and not the exhaust. Engine will overheat.

Upside down is the 'drain screw on top.......

I was concerned and upset at this guy and will ask others locally.

Thanks much!! critical stuff....

Doug

if he reversed the impeller, then the inlet and outlet fittings become reversed....and the hoses need to be connected appropriately...

If the engine is spinning the impeller in the direction opposite, it won't pump anything....and once it runs dry, the impeller will be trash...

Back