Logo

1995 90hp help

Sickie103

We were out on the lake yesterday and we made it out to our swim spot just fine. When we were ready to go home, I couldn’t get the motor to stay running. It would start and run with high idle just fine but when I put it into gear it would sputter out. It also slowly sputters out when idling. Like really slowly. I replaced the fuel pump in 2018 when we were having similar issues. I could t imagine that fuel pump already going bad. It’a got new plugs as well as a new fuel filter. Anyone have any idea what would be going on here? Could that fuel pump be going bad already? Any help to get us on the lake for the fourth would be realty appreciated!

The standard trouble hooting applies.----Compression test and post your numbers.-----Check fuel for water.-----Test run with another tank and hose.-----Test spark.-----Water pump impeller changed in the last 5 years ?-----Test motor fuel pump by operating the manual pump.-----If motor wakes up then you have issues with the pump on the motor.

I did a compression test and top cylinder is 120, middle cylinder is 125 and the bottom is 135…it’s been running on the dock just fine in idle and high idle but kicked out abruptly a couple times. Still a little nervous to take it out on the lake cause I don’t want to get stuck again. The impeller hasn’t been changed and I know this needs to be done just not too sure on how to go about that. I’m sure the lower compression on the top two cylinders is not normal?

Decarb the cylinders. Engine Tuner(OMC) Power Tune(Mercury) Yamaha sells one too.

Utube has a lot of self help videos?
Changing the impeller? Utube videos.

Back