Logo

2008 8 HP giving me fits!!! only runs with choke on.

Throttlemonkey

Picked up a low hrs fresh water 2008 8 hp 2 stroke for my dinghy last fall, it started but need a little choke so I just assumed it needed a carb cleaning and bought it anyway.

I have now cleaned the carb 6 times, flushed the tank and gas line with fresh gas, (yes the vent works) even bought a new aftermarket carb and exactly the same. The problem is actually getting worse, it now needs 3/4 choke just to stay running! It has 140 PSI, I inspected the reeds and they are perfect, new water pump and the t-stat is working so it comes up to temp. I have another thread going, I have fully diagnosed the ignition system and everything is fine, the CDI had one reading that was out of spec co I bought a new CDI and no change.

I have no reason to suspect a crank seal leak, it is a low hr motor with good compression and there are no noises from the main bearings.

I am a reasonably good mechanic, I was actually an outboard mechanic in high school, I have been riding/racing dirtbikes and snowmobiles for 40 years and have rebuilt dozens and dozens of two strokes but this has me stumped!

Back